Home

Switching taunts...

KirKanos

Originally posted by KirKanos

Do I have to "decompile" them and get the sound file out to switch them up

I don't think the term; "decompile" is appropriate here. What I think you mean is 'decompress', commonly referred to as 'unzip'.

The short answer is yes you do. There are probably several ways to do this, but they will all involve much the same steps.

Unzip the PK3, and find the taunt file.

Extract the file to your C: drive. Make sure you check the box labled "Use Folder Names" (in Winzip) so that it will create the necessary directory-path for the sound. This is important to do because when you zip the file later, the directory-path will be the correct one. This is also why I told you to unzip to the C:drive.

Now, open up the folders to get to the taunt you just extracted.

Rename the taunt "Taunt1" or "taunt2". This way it won't be overwritten when you put your new taunt into the folder.

Now put your new taunt into folder and name it "taunt".

Finally, drop the folders back into the PK3 you inzipped. If you followed my instructions the directory path to your taunt(s) should look the same as all of the other sounds. If it's not the same, your taunt won't play because it will not be located where the game will looking for it.

Now you should be done.

For fun you might try binding a key to "taunt1" or whatever you renamed the old taunt. I don't know if this works, but it's worth a try.

A quick word about sounds in JO: Most sound files in JO are MP3's. But there are some standard Wav files as well. I am therefore assuming that JO will read BOTH kinds of files. However, you need to be certain that any sound you use in JO has a sample rate of 44.1Khz. If it does not, then JO won't be able to play it. The good news is that most sounds have this sample rate. If it doesn't, then you will have to convert the sound, and that will require a sound editor.

Archived