Home

SDRAM vs DDR

Saber_RedRaven

Okay... I've got 256MB of RAM right now. No idea what kind of RAM it is, but I'm going to get a 256MB stick of (i think) SDRAM for something like 19 bucks. This is just about the only area in computer hardware that I'm supremely ignorant in, this and motherboards- what exactly does RAM do, and if I get more, what will it do? I'm wondering whether I should get SDRAM or DDR and what's the difference? thanks

RAM is basically what lets you run alot of programs at once and determines (in part) how fastt hey will run. DDR is better then SDR, but they don't work together. Find out which kind you have, because if you have SDR and buy DDR they won't work together....and vice verca.

Originally posted by TyRaNis

DDR Is MUCH better than SD Ram!!!! I once got 704 SD Ram!! I couldnt even run Galactic Battlegrounds without a little lacking

I think you're a bit over-exagerating there, or mistaken. Like sim said, he only has 512 and everything works smoothly, including UT 2003.

Could be your drivers, or pretty much anything in your system. 704 SD RAM would not have any trouble with Battlegrounds.

DDR means Double Data Rate, so it can function twice as fast as SD RAM. They don't go together though, and older motherboards won't support it, so check your existing RAM and motherboard before investing.

No, they look pretty similiar, if not identical. What kind of computer do you have? Custom built, or a Dell/Gateway/Alienware/etc? If it's a brand computer, you should be able to go to their website and check if your computer uses DDR or SD RAM.

Actually, go here : http://www.guru3d.com/files/sandra/

Download SiSoft Sandra 2003 and install it. Then launch the program and click 'System Summary'. The look up 'System Mainboard', and look for installed memory there. It will tell you what type of memory you have installed.

Archived