Home

level EIGHT guide: (rough) Streets of Theed

Guest Darth Wart

Guest Darth Wart

LEVEL EIGHT: STREETS OF THEED

The easiest level by far. If you love 80’s-style video games, you’ll love this one. It’s basically just a souped-up version of Atari’s “River Raid.” I’ve never failed to score less than all three bonuses at this level, even when I was screwing around, exploring.

Some notes:

There’s no way to crash your STAP into the ground. You can’t get that low. The only way you can crash is by running into a building or other obstacle; you can’t crash into the ground, the water, or any of the droids if you tried. Nor, despite appearances, can the enemies shoot you (even the rifle droids); nor is it possible to mow them down. It took a few runs through this level for this to dawn on me.

Don’t worry too much about aiming; just get the baddies more or less in your path. Your gun aims for you.

Square is brake. Considering, however, that there’s no advantage in flying fast (and in fact a distinct danger in doing so), put it on immediately and keep your STAP slow throughout the game. I don’t know why they even included that control. Needless to say, there’s no way of getting off the bike.

Obviously, the lower you fly, the more reliably you’ll hit the droids. On the other hand, the more likely it’ll be that you’ll run into something. This is the basic challenge of the level.

There seems to be no penalty for autofire: simply keeping triangle pressed.

Your main concern here should be to concentrate on getting those portals blown out before you need to go through them. The gates take one blast, the iron doors, two.

There’s only one thing I don’t understand: high in the air just before the series of black drawbridges (if that’s what they are), there’s a point bonus floating in the air on the right of your screen. As of this writing I have no idea how to get it. I’ve tried everything: flying high, shooting it, etc., etc. If you know how to get this, please e-mail us.

I don’t know why I’m even writing this; nobody has ever had problems on this level. If you are having problems, keep them to yourself. Everybody’ll just laugh at you.

Archived