Home

My JPB game review...

Guest Feilnyn

Guest Feilnyn

Rating: 4 of 5 stars

Star Wars:

Jedi Power Battles

Best Star Wars Console-Combat to Date...

Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles may not live up to the greatness that you

may expect from LucasArts, but it certainly offers the best lightsaber combat of any Star Wars console title (perhaps even greater than the hit PC game Jedi Knight). Jedi Power Battles is devoted to Jedi and lightsabers, and the creators did a commendable job of creating a fighting system centered around Force powers and sword combat.

Jedi Power Battles' graphics are below that of many current PSX games, but certainly adequate; the great droid and Jedi animations help redeem the visual effects. The Graphics rate a 6/10.

The gameplay is by far JPB's strongest aspect (this is what really counts, isn't it??). You get a choice of five different Jedi warriors (plus a few extra characters including the mysterious Darth Maul) who all require alternate strategies to use them successfully. All the Jedi and unlockable characters possess different Force powers, combos, special items, and abilities, making the game's replay value virtually limitless. In addition, the Dual Shock controller vibrates every time you take damage, telling you when your block timing is off. But perhaps the best feature of JPB and new to the Star Wars gaming world, is the Jedi co-op mode in which you can battle alongside a friend, and progress through the levels, to beat the game together. The Gameplay rates a 9.

The difficulty level is where this game falters. The difficulty settings on this game are "Jedi" and "Easy", but sadly there is little difference between them. Some reviewers complain that the controls are overly hard to use, but I found that they are simple and intuitive, and can be mastered with practice. The learning curve is about an hour, but once you've mastered the basics you'll find yourself spinning to thrust your saber through the chest of a battle droid, reflecting a deadly laser bolt back to its owner, diving around a third droid to unleash a devastating combo into his undefended back, then hurling your Jedi weapon toward another approaching enemy, all in the space of a few heart beats. While the combat becomes second nature and can leave your fingers twitching and reacting to imaginary battles long after you've set the controller down, the platform-style jumping is rarely conquered and definitely the game’s greatest drawback. Due to poor background shading and a virtual lack of depth perception, it is VERY difficult to perform all those impossible leaps over bottomless chasms. More often than not you'll find yourself staring at the screen in disbelief after what you thought was an accurate hop, but turned out to be twice as far as the situation called for, resulting in your instant demise. These jumping areas are the most aggravating and exasperating aspects of the game and may discourage some players. Patience is necessary at first, and I suggest you purchase the Prima strategy guide. It provides helpful melee tips that greatly enhance your gaming experience, facts about the various enemies, and strategies and combos for all the Jedi and hidden characters. This game’s difficulty is medium/hard.

Finally, the game's “atmosphere”, which is described as the feel of the game: the sounds, music, lighting, and level design. The sound is high quality and straight from the movie, setting that wonderful Star Wars mood. The same may be said about the music, which is rich and varied. The lighting is average but the level design is engaging and diverse (though a tad too restrictive in areas). The atmosphere rates an 8.

Over all, Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles is an absolute MUST for any Star Wars fan. The completely lightsaber and Force based combat is what every Star Wars lover has been waiting for since the opening of "A New Hope" in 1979. This game is less about reliving the movie than it is about slicing things in half with a lightsaber, and lets the player know what it is like to fight like a Jedi, think like a Jedi…to be a Jedi.

------------------

cut2.jpg

"A jedi needs only his Lightsaber. In battle, he and his weapon become a single fighting unit..."

Guest Hannibal

"...what every Star Wars lover has been waiting for since the opening of "A New Hope" in 1979. This game is less about reliving the movie than it is about slicing things in half with a lightsaber, and lets the player know what it is like to fight like a Jedi, think like a Jedi…to be a Jedi"

This is the exact reason that the Star Wars ONline game will fail. No jedi. frown.gif

------------------

Bow down before JoJo my helper monkey and your future lord and master.

monk_scratch_sm_wht.gif

Man-eating vice-president of the Un-Council and Head Servant to Jo Jo

Guest Kurgan

Actually ANH (aka "Star Wars") opened in 1977.

Of course it has been re-released over and over since then (by itself, with ESB, with ROTJ, and with the SE trilogy).

Kurgan

Guest Feilnyn

Any comments on my review?

------------------

cut2.jpg

"A jedi needs only his Lightsaber. In battle, he and his weapon become a single fighting unit..."

Guest Acid_Rain327

Good man, Kurgan. I was just about to say that when I scrolled down and saw your post. smile.gif

Guest Feilnyn

It is also on Amazon.com customer reviews

------------------

cut2.jpg

Guest Acid_Rain327

Well, Fei, I have to say that I disagree with your review...

Yes, the game was initally very good, as it would be seen in the eyes of any Star Wars fan - initially.

However, after about 10 minutes of playing, the first thought in my mind was "Oh man...IGN is gonna rake this thing over the coals..."

First of all, thought the game is pretty flashy with it's saber techniques, and moves, it doesn't even begin to compare with playing JK/MotS over the internet.

Just download the Art of the Lightsaber mod, and you'll have all the Jedi-esque moves and aspects you could want - including removable cloaks, jump kicks, new movie-derived combos, etc.

Next, while they did base the game on Lightsaber fighting, they did a very poor job of recreating the graceful, elegance of the Jedi, and moves adequate in defeating even the simplest of foes. The same can be said about Force abilities - most are forgettable, and do more harm than good for the player. Yes, nailing that one opponent with a Force ball is cool, but not after you get wailed upon by the 3 other enemies surrounding you in the process.

The graphics, while decent enough to maintaint your interest for a bit, are not of Playstation, or even Lucasarts for that matter, standards. They create clipping, hazy textures, and disorientation.

I disagree with you that JPB's game play is it's strongest point. It's the game's worst point. First, the controls are laggy, and unresponsive, giving the player "virtually limitless" frustration. Next, the gameplay and variation of the Jedi styles cause you to change your style from "fight enemies, move on" to "grab power-up, run". The diversity between Jedi is so drastic and so extreme, that going from Adi Gallia to Plo Koon isn't a challenge, it's a nightmare.

The two-player mode makes matters even worse, preventing both players from performing such should-be-simple tasks as platform jumping. What's also disturbing is the fact that if one player is seperated from the other and disappears off-screen, a time limit has been set in which the lost player must struggle with the controls to regain visibility. If time runs out, they die. This is simply rediculous; the fact that such a timer had to be implemented should have told Lucas Arts something.

The gameplay is horrid, to sum it up in one word.

Next, there is no difference between Easy and Jedi difficulty modes what-so-ever. This stops smaller children and beginners from being able to play the game with more veteran players, or those on higher gaming skill-levels.

"...you'll find yourself spinning to thrust your saber through the chest of a battle droid, reflecting a deadly laser bolt back to its owner, diving around a third droid to unleash a devastating combo into his undefended back, then hurling your Jedi weapon toward another approaching enemy, all in the space of a few heart beats."

Umm...not in this game, I'm afraid. The moves themselves are so slow, they prevent from producing the speed Jedi are known for. Not to mention the fact that your "Jedi offense" will leave you entirely open for retaliation.

"Due to poor background shading and a virtual lack of depth perception, it is VERY difficult to perform all those impossible leaps over bottomless chasms. More often than not you'll find yourself staring at the screen in disbelief after what you thought was an accurate hop, but turned out to be twice as far as the situation called for, resulting in your instant demise."

No offense, but I see this as the most accurate aspect of your review.

For atmosphere, I have to say that the best part was John Williams music. Other than that, the game had no atmosphere. There wasn't even a story set for those who have never played the game - just a series of battles, with objectives. The levels were bland, uneventful and boring.

"Over all, Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles is an absolute MUST for any Star Wars fan."

Personally, I see this game as an absolute MUST AVOID for any fan of games and Star Wars alike.

I've avoided numerical ratings to this point, if I must, I'd give the game a score of:

4 of 10, and that's being generous...

-Acid

[This message has been edited by Acid_Rain327 (edited May 23, 2000).]

Guest Feilnyn

Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful feedback Acid. Obviously, you've spent more time playing this game than I have, and other video games in general. I'm a more patient and forgiving gamer, while you seem to be someone long-plagued by the pitfalls of previous video games and your patience has worn thin and made you more critical and

damanding (a battle-worn game veteran ,if you will). In short, having less experience, I'm less aware of some of the game's drawbacks such as combo speed and graphical glitches, and I still think that it is a good game for casual gamers and Star Wars fans like myself (some people can never be pleased). I do by the way, own Jedi Knight and MoTS (my all time favorite games), but the lightsaber dualing in multiplayer is poor due to internet lag. Anyways, thank you again for taking time to comment on my review.

------------------

cut2.jpg

Guest Jedi Kanigget

I like JPB. It's a fun game (except for Coruscant. The people involved in making/designing that level should be forced to play that level over and over again for eternity. With their feet, at that.) Anyway, compared to TPM, this game is gold.

------------------

SigFinII.jpg

Darth Wart's Strategy Guide in a friendly, easy to use form!(Sorry, that was bad.)

http://JediPowerBattlesGuide.homestead.com/JPB.html

Guest Acid_Rain327

Actually, lag utilization in JK/MotS is something I've taken the time to master. It's not something easily learned, but lag is my ally, and a power ally it is...hehe.

Guest Feilnyn

You're right about the Coruscant level Kanigget. However, I think that Tatooine with those mesa leaps is a more frustrating experience.

------------------

cut2.jpg

Guest ShadeShifter

JPB is a good game despite it's flaws. The highest consideration that I can give a game is replay value. For me JPB's replay value is extremely low. Let me clarify this. You do get to play with the other Jedi which lets you replay the levels, earn different combos, open secrets, and get secret characters. But my motives for replaying were not because of enjoyment, but to accomplish a goal. In fact, I belive that going through the game with all the Jedi hurts the replay value of the game because you get a "been-there, done-that" attitude. Plus, the storyline is based on Episode 1, so there is nothing new there. I like the game, but I can't give it a good rating because I don't find a lot of enjoyment in it now that I've beaten it with almost everyone (for some reason I refuse to play with Panaka-the guard in a dress smile.gif)

BTW--What's up Kanigget?

------------------

newsig2.jpg

Archived