Home

jedi survive! reply

Guest jedihorn1

Guest jedihorn1

You want proof? Here is an excerpt of an interview with Lucas himself:

Suttle: If the Jedi are so powerful, how does the Empire manage to kill 10,000 Jedi in a relatively short amount of time?

George Lucas: The Clone Wars take a tremendous toll on the Jedi. They never completely recover from the wars. The Jedi are very powerful, but the Jedi aren't invincible. The Empire throws superior numbers at the Jedi. Dark Jedi, bounty hunters, mercenaries and stormtroopers are utilized by the Emperor to destroy the Jedi. However, it takes a while for the Empire to hunt down most of the Jedi.

Suttle: Are Yoda and Obi-Wan the only Jedi to survive the Jedi massacre?

George Lucas: The Empire tries to wipe out all the Jedi that are spread out all over the galaxy. The Republic is comprised of 100,000 or so star systems so there are plenty of places for the Jedi to hide. Some Jedi do escape from the Empire and are never found.

Suttle: Will we ever find out what happened to these other Jedi?

George Lucas: One day there may be some books that chronicle the various adventures of these hidden Jedi.

Suttle: Why didn’t these hidden Jedi emerge to help Luke and the Rebel Alliance?

George Lucas: These Jedi were wise enough to completely cut themselves off from the outside world. The Sith Lords patiently waited a millennium before they emerged in Episode 1. Likewise, the hidden Jedi were willing to stay hidden until the Force moves them to reveal themselves.

Suttle: Why haven’t these hidden Jedi appeared in the novels that occur after Return of the Jedi?

George Lucas: No one knows they exist. No one knows where to look for them. They probably managed to hide themselves too well.

Suttle: Why doesn't Yoda or Obi-Wan know about these other Jedi?

George Lucas: The Jedi didn’t bother to tell each other where they were hiding in case they were later captured by the Empire. Yoda and Obi-Wan only know about each other. Yoda and Obi-Wan have no means to sense these other Jedi.

Guest jedihorn1

You want proof? Here is an excerpt of an interview with Lucas himself:

Suttle: If the Jedi are so powerful, how does the Empire manage to kill 10,000 Jedi in a relatively short amount of time?

George Lucas: The Clone Wars take a tremendous toll on the Jedi. They never completely recover from the wars. The Jedi are very powerful, but the Jedi aren't invincible. The Empire throws superior numbers at the Jedi. Dark Jedi, bounty hunters, mercenaries and stormtroopers are utilized by the Emperor to destroy the Jedi. However, it takes a while for the Empire to hunt down most of the Jedi.

George Lucas: The Empire tries to wipe out all the Jedi that are spread out all over the galaxy. The Republic is comprised of 100,000 or so star systems so there are plenty of places for the Jedi to hide. Some Jedi do escape from the Empire and are never found.

George Lucas: One day there may be some books that chronicle the various adventures of these hidden Jedi.

Suttle: Why didn’t these hidden Jedi emerge to help Luke and the Rebel Alliance?

George Lucas: These Jedi were wise enough to completely cut themselves off from the outside world. The Sith Lords patiently waited a millennium before they emerged in Episode 1. Likewise, the hidden Jedi were willing to stay hidden until the Force moves them to reveal themselves.

Suttle: Why haven’t these hidden Jedi appeared in the novels that occur after Return of the Jedi?

George Lucas: No one knows they exist. No one knows where to look for them. They probably managed to hide themselves too well.

George Lucas: The Jedi didn’t bother to tell each other where they were hiding in case they were later captured by the Empire. Yoda and Obi-Wan only know about each other. Yoda and Obi-Wan have no means to sense these other Jedi.

• 4 months later...
Guest Jedi Kanigget

Some hidden Jedi have surfaced in comics and novels. The only example I can think of right now is Dark Empire and Dark Empire II. One was an old Jedi woman who pretty much had survivor's guilt. The other was an alien Jedi who looked like a tree. I don't remember either of these two Jedi's names.

My guess is that the more well known Jedi were killed off. Obviously, not all of them were, since Kenobi and Yoda were still alive, but they could have been thought dead. More that I think about it, they probably were presumed dead. I don't think Vader or the Emperor would have let such powerful Jedi live if they knew they were alive. From the movies, it didn't seem that Vader knew that Yoda was still alive.

------------------

SigFinII.jpg

New! The Council of Jedi is now operational!

http://pub19.ezboard.com/bthecouncilofjedi

JediKanigget.com, Star Wars news and media. http://jedikanigget.homestead.com/JediKanigget.html

Darth Wart's strategy guide in an easy to use form. http://jedipowerbattlesguide.homestead.com/JPB.html

[This message has been edited by Jedi Kanigget (edited August 25, 2000).]

Guest Jedi Kanigget

Some hidden Jedi have surfaced in comics and novels. The only example I can think of right now is Dark Empire and Dark Empire II. One was an old Jedi woman who pretty much had survivor's guilt. The other was an alien Jedi who looked like a tree. I don't remember either of these two Jedi's names.

My guess is that the more well known Jedi were killed off. Obviously, not all of them were, since Kenobi and Yoda were still alive, but they could have been thought dead. More that I think about it, they probably were presumed dead. I don't think Vader or the Emperor would have let such powerful Jedi live if they knew they were alive. From the movies, it didn't seem that Vader knew that Yoda was still alive.

------------------

SigFinII.jpg

JediKanigget.com, Star Wars news and media. http://jedikanigget.homestead.com/JediKanigget.html

Darth Wart's strategy guide in an easy to use form. http://jedipowerbattlesguide.homestead.com/JPB.html

[This message has been edited by Jedi Kanigget (edited August 25, 2000).]

Guest jedihorn1

I would like to go on record in saying that when i posted this, i was temporalily insane. i got it from supershadow.com, and the guy who runs it supposedly interviewed Lucas. The validity of his claimes are yet to be determined. I think the guy is a liar, and I'm sorry for ever posting it. Although it does make sense. That and the thing about Yoda's species being the Whill.

------------------

add2.gif

Check out the best site for SW news rumors, fan fiction, chat and more! The Jedi Temple

Guest jedihorn1

I would like to go on record in saying that when i posted this, i was temporalily insane. i got it from supershadow.com, and the guy who runs it supposedly interviewed Lucas. The validity of his claimes are yet to be determined. I think the guy is a liar, and I'm sorry for ever posting it. Although it does make sense. That and the thing about Yoda's species being the Whill.

------------------

add2.gif

Check out the best site for SW news rumors, fan fiction, chat and more! The Jedi Temple

Guest Darth Wart

Oh, I see, Jedihorn. For what it's worth, I dug up the complete interview, though I too have reason to doubt its veracity. Here you go:

Lucas is seated at his desk. I walk in and we shake hands. I give him a couple of copies of my books for him and his staff, but I doubt he will ever have time to read them. He hands me a box. It turns out to be an autographed copy of the collector's edition of the widescreen Episode 1 video cassette. Little does Lucas know that this video will end up on e-bay. Just kidding.

Lucas: Sorry, it took so long to fit you into the schedule, but as you know we are running behind.

Suttle: That's fine. I had a great time touring the ranch. Thanks for the video.

Lucas: You're welcome. What's your honest opinion about the script?

Suttle: From what I can tell, it's a fantastic story. It's kind of hard to tell since it's just a rough draft, but I still like it a lot. It reminds me of the Raiders of the Lost Ark script. Heavy on action and excitement. It's much darker than the other movies.

I reach over and hand Lucas a list of the 284 suggestions that Star Wars fans have given me regarding Episode 2.

Suttle: This is a list of some things that the fans would like to see you add to the script. I know some of the ideas may seem kind of silly, but many of them are clever and would improve the film. Since you still have a lot of work to do on the script, I think you will be able to incorporate some of these ideas into the final version.

Lucas briefly looks over the list and sets it down on his desk.

Lucas: Thanks. I'll look over these suggestions before I start the next re-write. I'll let you know what ideas I can use for the film. I can't promise anything, but I will consider each idea very carefully. You really seem to have your thumb on the pulse of the fans.

Suttle: I'm in constant contact with your most devoted fans so I know what they like and don't like. I think that their suggestions will make the next film even better.

Lucas: What kind of questions do you have for me today?

Suttle: Ok. Well, many people want to know what species Yoda is?

Lucas: Yoda is a Whill. The Whills are a very ancient and wise race. They are responsible for keeping a detailed account of the history of the entire galaxy. They oversee the largest library in the galaxy, which is located on Coruscant. This library contains the complete history of the galaxy.

Suttle: You don't mention anything about the Whills in the script.

Lucas: They're not important to the story. You'll never see much of the Whills or the library on screen, but they're there.

Suttle: Why not include Chewbacca in Episode 2 or 3?

Lucas: I can't find a way to integrate him into the story. I'm not going to add a Chewbacca cameo to the films just for the sake of it.

Suttle: So we won't get to see how Han and Chewie met?

Lucas: No, not in the films. It's not important to the story I'm trying to tell. Han and Chewie belong in the old films. There's really no place for them in the new films.

Suttle: Realistically, how many of our suggestions are going to end up in Episode 2?

Lucas: I'll integrate as many ideas as reasonable. I won't be able to give you a better answer until I examine all the suggestions and then decide what to do next.

Suttle: Are you still NOT going to make the sequel trilogy?

Lucas: It takes me about ten years to complete a Star Wars trilogy from beginning to end. I love making these films, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life making them.

Suttle: You wouldn't let Steven Spielberg make them?

Lucas: He wouldn't want to make them. It would be like me making a sequel to E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. It just wouldn't be right. Star Wars is kinda my thing.

Suttle: So you're saying that after Episode 3, there will never, ever be another new Star Wars film?

Lucas: Never.

Suttle: What if your heirs want to make a new Star Wars 30 or 40 years from now?

Lucas: No. They don't make Picasso paintings without Picasso and they're not going to make Star Wars films without me (laughs).

Suttle: Could you make the sequel trilogy into a book trilogy to tie up all the loose ends involving Luke, Han and Leia?

Lucas: That's a question you should ask the people in publishing. If they would like to turn the sequels into books, that's fine with me.

Suttle: Would you write the books yourself?

Lucas: No. When I finish Episode 3, I'm going to retire from writing Star Wars.

Suttle: Speaking of writing, why not let someone like Timothy Zahn look at the script when you're finally done with it?

Lucas: I don't mind taking a few suggestions from the fans, but I rather not have someone coming behind me changing the dialogue and such things.

Suttle: Does this mean that you regret letting Lawrence Kasdan write the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?

Lucas: If I had to do over again, I would have wrote the films myself.

Suttle: Why?

Lucas: When you hire a scriptwriter, you hire them to take your story and make it into a 120-page-or-so script. It becomes their vision. You lose control. When I write the scripts myself, I know that it is my vision that is making it onto the paper and not the vision of someone else. That is very important to me.

Suttle: So, if you had to do over again, you would also direct the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?

Lucas: Yes, I had to sacrifice part of my vision to that of the directors. The directors have the artistic right to make the film as they see fit. I can give my opinion, but the films represent Kershner's and Marquand's vision of Star Wars more than my own.

Suttle: Why didn't you direct those films?

Lucas: Making Star Wars was the worst experience of my life. It nearly killed me. The stress was awful. We were always behind schedule. Never had enough money. We had little support from the studio. The British crew I had working for me thought I was some kind of amateur film maker. I was young and they had little respect for me. They thought Star Wars was the most awful idea. It was just a very bad experience. After Star Wars, I promised that I would never direct again.

Suttle: So your bad experience on Star Wars deterred you from directing Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Lucas: Definitely. If I had enjoyed directing Star Wars, then I probably would have directed Raiders. But after Star Wars, directing was the last thing I ever wanted to do again. I wanted to see Raiders made. It was the kind of film I wanted to see and I thought Steven [spielberg] was the best man for the job.

Suttle: You were right.

Lucas: Yes (laughs).

Suttle: Did you have any inkling at the time that Steven was going to turn out to be the best and most successful director in history?

Lucas: No. I knew after watching Jaws and Close Encounters that he was a brilliant director. We were good friends so it was only natural that I asked him to direct.

Suttle: If Steven had said no, who was your second choice?

Lucas: I didn't have anyone else in mind. There was no second choice.

Suttle: When do you see Steven now a days?

Lucas: We mostly keep in contact by phone. I see him when he comes here to work on the post-production of his films. We see each other at charity events, awards shows and the like.

Suttle: Is it true that you did a lot of the work on the post-production of Jurassic Park?

Lucas: Yes, Steven finished filming Jurassic Park and then started to film Schindler's List. He trusted me to work on most of the special effects for Jurassic Park. I was really excited to work on that film because that is when I first realized that digital effects were advanced enough for me to work on the new Star Wars.

Do you have any other great movie ideas like Star Wars or Indiana Jones?

Lucas: Not really. Willow, Howard the Duck and Radioland Murders didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. America Grafitti did well, but the sequel [More American Grafitti] didn't do too well. I don't really have any other commercial movie ideas left.

Suttle: What made you decide to direct Episode 1?

Lucas: I wanted the film done right. I wanted my vision to reach the screen. The only way to do that is to direct the film yourself. I was spending over $ 100 million on the film so if things came out badly, I only wanted to have myself to blame. It would have been unfair for me to have asked someone else to direct Episode 1 considering the impossible expectations that the film faced. No matter how good a film I made, it wouldn't be good enough. I knew that going in, but the film had to be made.

Suttle: Why did it have to be made?

Lucas: The original films are incomplete without the backstory. The prequels provide the backstory to the first films, which will make things make more sense.

Suttle: What are you going to do after Episode 3 comes out in 2005?

Lucas: I'm going to get out of the blockbuster movie business.

Suttle: But you're still going to make Indiana Jones 4, right?

Lucas: Certainly.

Suttle: At least four different actors have played the role of James Bond. Why not do the same for Indiana Jones and cast a new Indy?

Lucas: Steven [spielberg], Harrison [Ford] and I make those films as a team.

Suttle: So Harrison Ford is going to be the only Indiana Jones?

Lucas: Yes and Indy 4 will definitely be the last film in the series.

Suttle: When will you begin pre-production on Indy 4?

Lucas: Summer 2005 at the earliest.

Suttle: Are you going to direct again after Episode 3?

Lucas: I'll probably direct a couple of experimental films that are not considered commercial by Hollywood standards. Small films just for fun.

Suttle: What do you mean by experimental?

Lucas: Films that don't follow a linear plot with no beginning or end. An art-house type film.

Suttle: When will the Star Wars films be released on DVD?

Lucas: I haven't really thought about that. It will be some time after Episode 3.

Suttle: What can we expect to see included on the Star Wars DVDs?

Lucas: Well, the technology permits you to do a lot more than you can with video. The discs will probably include interviews, behind-the-scenes stuff, cut scenes, scripts, pre-production stuff and a host of other items.

Suttle: You really don't have enough time to work on the DVDs now?

Lucas: No. Not if I want to have a life. All my time is spent on Episode 2 and my family. The DVDs are just going to have to wait. I'm not going to spend 16 hours a day working on Star Wars.

Suttle: Do you have an e-mail address?

Lucas: No.

Suttle: Does your secretary have one?

Lucas: Yes.

Suttle: Would it be alright if I set up an e-mail address for you on the website that could be used to forward fan e-mail to your secretary?

Lucas: Sure.

(SuperShadow: Moved or inspired by George Lucas? If you wish to send Lucas words of encouragement, praise or constructive criticism while he works on Episode 2, then use the following e-mail address: swtpm1@aol.com.)

Suttle: Would you consider making a Star Wars TV show?

Lucas: We might produce a computer-animated show some time in the future.

Suttle: Why a TV show, but no more movies?

Lucas: A TV show would help to keep the Star Wars franchise alive long after the films have left the theaters. Within 10 years, we'll have photo-realistic digital animation. The show would look spectacular. My people will be able to do the show, like they do the books, without myself having to be involved in the day to day grind.

Suttle: What would the TV show focus on?

Lucas: I don't know. We haven't gotten that far in the development of the show yet. I won't start to look at TV options until after 2005.

Suttle: Will you write and direct the show?

Lucas: It will be done the same way we handled the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles with outside writers and directors. I'll oversee the project, but I won't spend much time on it. I'll leave it to others.

Suttle: So you won't be heavily involved?

Lucas: No, I'll be as hands-off with the TV show as I am with the books. I'll let them do what they want within the same limitations that the authors have with the books. I view a Star Wars TV show as being the visual equivalent of the books.

Suttle: So it won't be your vision of Star Wars?

Lucas: Like the books, it won't be my personal vision, but it will be a part of Star Wars. Something the fans can enjoy.

Suttle: The entire plot to Episode 1 leaked from the set many months prior to the films release. Are you going to be able to avoid a similar fate with Episode 2?

Lucas: Security will be a lot tighter this time around. We'll do more to protect ourselves. No more stolen scripts.

Suttle: How did somebody manage to steal the script?

Lucas: One of my people got careless at Leavesden.

Suttle: Do you think it is really possible to keep the plot a secret considering the thousands of people who work on your films?

Lucas: We'll find out with Episode 2. We're going to do everything possible to keep the plot secure from prying eyes. A lot has changed since we made the original films. You didn't have an internet back then.

Suttle: Is the internet a good or bad thing?

Lucas: It's a great educational tool, but it's just awful for movie makers. Film makers have a very difficult time keeping the plots to their films secret because everybody wants to leak what they know to the internet. It's a way to become famous I guess.

Suttle: To shift gears a little, why didn't you ever re-marry after divorcing from Marcia?

Lucas: I've come close to re-marrying a couple of times, but things didn't work out.

Suttle: Are you referring to Linda Ronstadt and Cindy Margolis?

Suttle: Do you still see Cindy?

Lucas: No, I haven't seen her in a while. We talk on the phone every few months. She's doing well. She got married.

Suttle: Why didn't you marry her?

Lucas: She wanted kids and I'm just too old to start a new family.

Suttle: Do you think you will ever settle down again?

Lucas: No, it's not in the cards.

Suttle: Do most of the women you date turn out to be supermodels?

Lucas: It works out that way. Those just happen to be the kind of women I meet. It's getting kind of late. Do you want to get something to eat?

Suttle: Ok.

Lucas shuts down his computer and locks up his desk. We exit his office. Lucas tells his secretary that he will be leaving for the day. We head for an elevator that leads to an underground parking garge located under the building. We get off the elevator and head over to Lucas' car. Lucas starts up his car (a carribean-blue Mazzerati) and we leave the ranch. Our destination is one of Lucas' favorite restaurants located in town. 25 minutes later we arrive at a restaurant and are quickly seated by one of Lucas' friends, who runs the restaurant. After placing our orders, I continue with the interview:

Suttle: The cover of the script you gave me says: "Star Wars Episode 2: Throne of the Empire." Will this be the final title?

George Lucas: When I was writing Episode 1, the title on the earliest script was "The Beginning," but that only served as a preliminary title. "Throne of the Empire" will not be the title I'll use for the film, but it is the working title. It summarizes the thrust of the Episode 2 story, which is Palpatine's quest to become the Emperor.

Suttle: When will you release the title for Episode 2?

George Lucas: Sometime in the latter half of 2001.

Suttle: When will the teaser for the film hit theaters?

George Lucas: It will probably be released during Thanksgiving 2001.

Suttle: Why is the Jedi Council helpless to stop Palpatine from taking over the Republic?

George Lucas: The Jedi are unable to figure out that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. He is able to hide his dark-side self completely from the Jedi. Palpatine destroys the Jedi without the Jedi knowing that this is what he's doing. The Jedi never see it coming.

Suttle: Can't the Jedi use the Force to see the future?

George Lucas: They can foresee that bad things are going to happen, but they think that it’s limited to the effects of the Clone Wars. They're unable to foresee what Palpatine is going to do. Palpatine, on the outside, appears to be a very mild-mannered man. No one considers that he really wants to be Emperor.

George Lucas: The Jedi didn’t bother to tell each other where they were hiding in case they were later captured by the Empire. Yoda and Obi-Wan only know about each other. Yoda and Obi-Wan have no means to sense these other Jedi. So what did you think of Episode 1?

Suttle: It was a good film. The first half was nearly perfect, but it did get slow in some parts. The special effects were impressive and the final battle sequences were top notch.

George Lucas: It took over four years to make the film. How would you have improved it?

Suttle: I would have included several more action sequences. You can never have enough action in these films.

George Lucas: That's your opinion. (laughs)

Suttle: You have less than two years to complete Episode 2. Is that going to be a factor?

George Lucas: If it were up to me, I would spend about four years working on each film, but because of contractual obligations we have to release these films every three years. It makes things tough because there is so much work to be done. Ultimately, it won't be a problem. We'll just have to work longer hours. (laughs)

Suttle: Does it make a difference to ILM how much time you have to work on the film?

George Lucas: ILM wants as much time as possible in order to improve and upgrade their software and hardware. The less time they have the less time they have for development. I’m really pushing the special-effects envelope in Episode 2 so they are going to be pushed for time.

Suttle: Is the large-scale aquatic battle a myth or reality?

George Lucas: It would be something new to set a battle in a water environment. The problem is that ILM can’t really pull-off that kind of sequence at this point. It is extremely difficult to create synthetic water that doesn’t look fake. That technology is still a few years away from perfection.

Suttle: What kind of features are going to be on the Star Wars DVDs?

George Lucas: I haven't really thought much about that at this point. What would you like to see included?

Suttle: It would be nice to have both the wide screen and pan-and-scan versions of the films on the DVDs. It would be nice to have both the original versions and special editions of each classic film. There should be an extensive section about the making of the films. And you should do an audio commentary that can be heard over each film. You might include the various film scripts and pre-production art work. There are many other things that the fans would like to see.

George Lucas: Well, I'm glad I don't have to worry about all that right now.

Suttle: Can you give me a summary of what filming will be like for Episode 2?

George Lucas: We'll film for about 12 weeks total. We'll start filming in Tunisia at the end of June. After the work in Tunisia is completed, we'll then film scenes in Italy. Finally, we'll make our way to Sydney to do all the interior shots for the film.

Suttle: Are you planning to do some re-shoots later on when you start to put the film together?

George Lucas: Yes, we always plan several weeks of additional filming because I can never be certain what kinds of additions or changes I will need to make. Are you going to be able to visit the set this summer?

Suttle: Yes.

George Lucas: Make sure you make arrangements with my secretary before you head back home.

Suttle: I certainly will. Back to Episode 2, are most of the secondary roles going to be filled by non-American actors?

George Lucas: Yes, it's going to be cheaper for us to use the local talent than to bring in actors from the States. There are some great actors in Australia.

Suttle: They film Farscape in Australia.

George Lucas: What's that?

Suttle: It's a sci-fi TV show on the Sci-Fi Channel. It's produced by the Jim Henson people. It has well-done special effects and in-depth character interaction.

George Lucas: I don't have time to watch a lot of TV.

Suttle: It's a new show. It's pretty interesting.

George Lucas: Could you get me a video of the show?

Suttle: I don't tape the show, but I'll tape some episodes for you.

George Lucas: Thanks.

Suttle: So what kind of TV shows or movies do you have time to watch?

George Lucas: I mainly watch news shows and historical shows. Not very often though. If I want to see a movie, the studios will send me a print of the film so that I can watch it in my personal theater.

Suttle: That's pretty cool.

George Lucas: It's one of the perks of being in the business.

Suttle: Why not film Indy 4 and 5 back to back?

George Lucas: I'm not sure Steven and Harrison are willing to commit to two more Indy films. We only have one script at this point. We'll be lucky just to make part 4. Indy 5 will never be made with Steven and Harrison.

Suttle: When the day comes that ILM can create photo-realistic, computer-generated human actors, would you consider making computer-generated Indy Jones films?

George Lucas: That technology is still probably a decade away. It's a theoretical possibility. I'm just not sure I'll want to make any more of those kinds of films down the line. I'm getting tired of making big-budget films.

Suttle: What can you tell us about Yoda fighting in the prequels?

George Lucas: He'll face Palpatine in Episode 3.

Suttle: Will that be the ultimate battle between the light and dark sides of the Force?

George Lucas: It will be the most technologically complex fight sequence in film history.

Suttle: Why is that?

George Lucas: Yoda and Palpatine will use practically every possible Force power they know on each other.

Suttle: So Palpatine didn't show all he had at the end of ROTJ?

George Lucas: No, Palpatine didn't consider Luke a serious threat. He had no reason to show the full extent of his powers.

Suttle: Well, we already know that Yoda and Palpatine survive the prequels so what is going to make the battle suspenseful?

George Lucas: Seeing their fighting skills will be impressive.

Suttle: Is Palpatine as powerful as Yoda?

George Lucas: That's hard to say. They are the two most powerful Force users in the galaxy.

Suttle: If Anakin's midichlorian count is even higher than Yoda's, then why isn't he the most powerful Force user?

George Lucas: Anakin is young in the prequels. He's not very experienced. He also diminishes his potential by falling to the dark side. After his transformation into half-machine, he is never quite the same. He never reaches his full potential until he destroys the Emperor.

Suttle: What causes Anakin's disfigurement?

George Lucas: His duel with Obi-Wan in Episode 3 is the cause.

Suttle: Is it true that he falls into a molten pit during the duel?

George Lucas: It's a catastrophic event, not necessarily a molten pit though.

Suttle: In the novelization of Return of the Jedi, Obi-Wan tells Luke that Anakin fell into a molten pit?

George Lucas: Yes, but I kept that dialogue out of the film in order to keep my options open.

Suttle: Is the prequel story continually evolving?

George Lucas: The basic plot is set in stone. However, the smaller details change depending on what I think is best for the story. It wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

Suttle: Was Boba Fett originally in the prequels when you wrote the back-story in the 1970's?

George Lucas: No.

Suttle: Why not?

George Lucas: He wasn't created until we started working on the Empire Strikes Back.

Suttle: So why did you add him to the Episode 2 storyline?

George Lucas: He's one of the most fascinating characters from the original films. I thought it would be interesting to show the fans what he was doing in the prequels.

Suttle: Why create a new origin for Boba Fett for Episode 2?

George Lucas: His identity is separate from what you have read about him in the novels and comics.

George Lucas: It's not creatively satisfying to copy what has been printed about Fett's background. Fett's history is clouded in mystery. So no matter what you think you know about Fett, you really don't know anything about him. It's more interesting to come up with new ideas. He's my creation after all and the novels and comics aren’t my personal vision of Star Wars.

Suttle: You've described Fett's role in Episode 2 as "prominent." What does that mean?

George Lucas: He's a major character in the film with many scenes.

Suttle: Why doesn't Fett have much dialogue in the script?

George Lucas: Fett is all about action, not words.

Suttle: Are you going to have him wink at the camera when he takes his helmet off in the film?

George Lucas: No. (laughs)

Suttle: You’re going to give Fett a new look for the prequels. Why?

George Lucas: Episode 2 takes place twenty-two years prior to the original films so he’s obviously going to look different in his younger days.

Suttle: What's the last scene we'll see in Episode 3?

George Lucas: The story began on Tatooine in the first film so it will end on Tatooine in Episode 3.

Suttle: So we'll literally see Obi-Wan walking into the Tatooine desert after leaving Luke with Owen and Beru Lars?

George Lucas: No, the last scene will show Obi-Wan, Bail Organa, Amidala, Luke, Leia, Owen & Beru Lars and several other characters together on Tatooine before some of them leave for Alderaan.

Suttle: When Episode 3 is in the can, why not sell Lucasfilm to the highest bidder and ride of into the sunset like Indy did in the Last Crusade?

George Lucas: I will never sell Lucasfilm.

George Lucas: It's about control. If I sell Lucasfilm to the public, I would have to answer to the stockholders, assuming I were still with the company. The stockholders would, obviously, demand a never-ending supply of new Star Wars movies.

Suttle: Why is that a bad thing?

George Lucas: If someone else owned the rights, they would want to maximize the profits from their investment, which would mean they would make a new Star Wars film every two years or so.

Suttle: A new Star Wars film every two years would be great. What's wrong with that?

George Lucas: The franchise would be run into the ground. It would be more about profits than quality. Star Wars would become as formulaic as the James Bond films.

Suttle: In fairness to James Bond, you keep using the same ideas in Star Wars like the lightsabre duels, space battles, chase scenes, laser shoot-outs and the like.

George Lucas: Yes, but that’s my vision.

Suttle: When you're gone, what do you want your heirs to do with Star Wars and Indy in the future?

George Lucas: No more Star Wars films, but they can do what they want with Indy.

Suttle: The production of the Lord of the Rings movies seems to be going on quite well without the author, J.R.R. Tolkien. Don't you think your heirs could find somebody qualified and dedicated enough to make more Star Wars films some day?

George Lucas: Once I'm gone, I won't have control over Star Wars anymore. My wishes are that they not make anymore Star Wars films ever. I believe Tolkien sold the film rights to his works and didn't really care whether they made the movies or not as long as Disney studios wasn't involved.

Suttle: If someone in the future develops computer software that allows a person to make a movie on their computer, would you mind if people made Star Wars films at home?

George Lucas: If they were making these films for personal use, then that would be OK. But I wouldn't want these films broadcast on the Internet or on any other medium.

Suttle: Why are you so steadfast against someone else making Star Wars films for theatrical release?

George Lucas: Star Wars is sorta my thing. I made the first film when everybody told me not to. Everybody told me that it would ruin my career. Even the studios thought it was a bad idea. If Alan Ladd, Jr. hadn't been in charge of Fox, then Star Wars might not have ever been made. I stuck with my vision and things turned out surprisingly well. If I had listened to the advice of others, Star Wars wouldn't exist. Skywalker Ranch probably wouldn't exist. Maybe, even Indiana Jones wouldn't have been made. Star Wars made a lot of things possible. It means more to me than you can imagine. It's my life's work. Letting other people make Star Wars films would be like Picasso letting other people work on his paintings. Picasso would never have done that because, if he had, then it wouldn't be a Picasso. Likewise, Star Wars is not Star Wars without my involvement. When Episode 3 is completed, that's the end of the story. I don't have any more stories for Star Wars films. The sequel trilogy is just an idea in my head with no concrete plot or story.

Suttle: What is your idea for the sequels?

George Lucas: Han, Leia and Luke are in the autumn years of their lives. The Republic and the Jedi are also there, but that's it. I haven't thought more about it because I know that I will never make those films.

Suttle: It just seems like such a waste. In a few years, you would be able to make Star Wars films that are completely computer generated. You wouldn't even have to leave the Ranch to make Star Wars films in the future. Are you going to be able to resist making new Star Wars films with the awesome digital-animation that will be available in the future?

George Lucas: When Episode 3 is finished, that's it for me. No more Star Wars. It'll be time for me to move on to other projects. Star Wars has consumed enough of my life. It's just a movie. Always remember that it's just a movie.

------------------

Wart

JPBDWART.jpg

Get your free JPB guide at:

http://jedipowerbattlesguide.homestead.com/JPB.html

[This message has been edited by Darth Wart (edited August 25, 2000).]

Guest Darth Wart

Oh, I see, Jedihorn. For what it's worth, I dug up the complete interview, though I too have reason to doubt its veracity. Here you go:

Lucas is seated at his desk. I walk in and we shake hands. I give him a couple of copies of my books for him and his staff, but I doubt he will ever have time to read them. He hands me a box. It turns out to be an autographed copy of the collector's edition of the widescreen Episode 1 video cassette. Little does Lucas know that this video will end up on e-bay. Just kidding.

Lucas: Sorry, it took so long to fit you into the schedule, but as you know we are running behind.

Suttle: That's fine. I had a great time touring the ranch. Thanks for the video.

Lucas: You're welcome. What's your honest opinion about the script?

Suttle: From what I can tell, it's a fantastic story. It's kind of hard to tell since it's just a rough draft, but I still like it a lot. It reminds me of the Raiders of the Lost Ark script. Heavy on action and excitement. It's much darker than the other movies.

I reach over and hand Lucas a list of the 284 suggestions that Star Wars fans have given me regarding Episode 2.

Suttle: This is a list of some things that the fans would like to see you add to the script. I know some of the ideas may seem kind of silly, but many of them are clever and would improve the film. Since you still have a lot of work to do on the script, I think you will be able to incorporate some of these ideas into the final version.

Lucas briefly looks over the list and sets it down on his desk.

Lucas: Thanks. I'll look over these suggestions before I start the next re-write. I'll let you know what ideas I can use for the film. I can't promise anything, but I will consider each idea very carefully. You really seem to have your thumb on the pulse of the fans.

Suttle: I'm in constant contact with your most devoted fans so I know what they like and don't like. I think that their suggestions will make the next film even better.

Lucas: What kind of questions do you have for me today?

Suttle: Ok. Well, many people want to know what species Yoda is?

Lucas: Yoda is a Whill. The Whills are a very ancient and wise race. They are responsible for keeping a detailed account of the history of the entire galaxy. They oversee the largest library in the galaxy, which is located on Coruscant. This library contains the complete history of the galaxy.

Suttle: You don't mention anything about the Whills in the script.

Lucas: They're not important to the story. You'll never see much of the Whills or the library on screen, but they're there.

Suttle: Why not include Chewbacca in Episode 2 or 3?

Lucas: I can't find a way to integrate him into the story. I'm not going to add a Chewbacca cameo to the films just for the sake of it.

Suttle: So we won't get to see how Han and Chewie met?

Lucas: No, not in the films. It's not important to the story I'm trying to tell. Han and Chewie belong in the old films. There's really no place for them in the new films.

Suttle: Realistically, how many of our suggestions are going to end up in Episode 2?

Lucas: I'll integrate as many ideas as reasonable. I won't be able to give you a better answer until I examine all the suggestions and then decide what to do next.

Suttle: Are you still NOT going to make the sequel trilogy?

Lucas: It takes me about ten years to complete a Star Wars trilogy from beginning to end. I love making these films, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life making them.

Suttle: You wouldn't let Steven Spielberg make them?

Lucas: He wouldn't want to make them. It would be like me making a sequel to E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. It just wouldn't be right. Star Wars is kinda my thing.

Suttle: So you're saying that after Episode 3, there will never, ever be another new Star Wars film?

Lucas: Never.

Suttle: What if your heirs want to make a new Star Wars 30 or 40 years from now?

Lucas: No. They don't make Picasso paintings without Picasso and they're not going to make Star Wars films without me (laughs).

Suttle: Could you make the sequel trilogy into a book trilogy to tie up all the loose ends involving Luke, Han and Leia?

Lucas: That's a question you should ask the people in publishing. If they would like to turn the sequels into books, that's fine with me.

Suttle: Would you write the books yourself?

Lucas: No. When I finish Episode 3, I'm going to retire from writing Star Wars.

Suttle: Speaking of writing, why not let someone like Timothy Zahn look at the script when you're finally done with it?

Lucas: I don't mind taking a few suggestions from the fans, but I rather not have someone coming behind me changing the dialogue and such things.

Suttle: Does this mean that you regret letting Lawrence Kasdan write the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?

Lucas: If I had to do over again, I would have wrote the films myself.

Suttle: Why?

Lucas: When you hire a scriptwriter, you hire them to take your story and make it into a 120-page-or-so script. It becomes their vision. You lose control. When I write the scripts myself, I know that it is my vision that is making it onto the paper and not the vision of someone else. That is very important to me.

Suttle: So, if you had to do over again, you would also direct the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?

Lucas: Yes, I had to sacrifice part of my vision to that of the directors. The directors have the artistic right to make the film as they see fit. I can give my opinion, but the films represent Kershner's and Marquand's vision of Star Wars more than my own.

Suttle: Why didn't you direct those films?

Lucas: Making Star Wars was the worst experience of my life. It nearly killed me. The stress was awful. We were always behind schedule. Never had enough money. We had little support from the studio. The British crew I had working for me thought I was some kind of amateur film maker. I was young and they had little respect for me. They thought Star Wars was the most awful idea. It was just a very bad experience. After Star Wars, I promised that I would never direct again.

Suttle: So your bad experience on Star Wars deterred you from directing Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Lucas: Definitely. If I had enjoyed directing Star Wars, then I probably would have directed Raiders. But after Star Wars, directing was the last thing I ever wanted to do again. I wanted to see Raiders made. It was the kind of film I wanted to see and I thought Steven [spielberg] was the best man for the job.

Suttle: You were right.

Lucas: Yes (laughs).

Suttle: Did you have any inkling at the time that Steven was going to turn out to be the best and most successful director in history?

Lucas: No. I knew after watching Jaws and Close Encounters that he was a brilliant director. We were good friends so it was only natural that I asked him to direct.

Suttle: If Steven had said no, who was your second choice?

Lucas: I didn't have anyone else in mind. There was no second choice.

Suttle: When do you see Steven now a days?

Lucas: We mostly keep in contact by phone. I see him when he comes here to work on the post-production of his films. We see each other at charity events, awards shows and the like.

Suttle: Is it true that you did a lot of the work on the post-production of Jurassic Park?

Lucas: Yes, Steven finished filming Jurassic Park and then started to film Schindler's List. He trusted me to work on most of the special effects for Jurassic Park. I was really excited to work on that film because that is when I first realized that digital effects were advanced enough for me to work on the new Star Wars.

Do you have any other great movie ideas like Star Wars or Indiana Jones?

Lucas: Not really. Willow, Howard the Duck and Radioland Murders didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. America Grafitti did well, but the sequel [More American Grafitti] didn't do too well. I don't really have any other commercial movie ideas left.

Suttle: What made you decide to direct Episode 1?

Lucas: I wanted the film done right. I wanted my vision to reach the screen. The only way to do that is to direct the film yourself. I was spending over $ 100 million on the film so if things came out badly, I only wanted to have myself to blame. It would have been unfair for me to have asked someone else to direct Episode 1 considering the impossible expectations that the film faced. No matter how good a film I made, it wouldn't be good enough. I knew that going in, but the film had to be made.

Suttle: Why did it have to be made?

Lucas: The original films are incomplete without the backstory. The prequels provide the backstory to the first films, which will make things make more sense.

Suttle: What are you going to do after Episode 3 comes out in 2005?

Lucas: I'm going to get out of the blockbuster movie business.

Suttle: But you're still going to make Indiana Jones 4, right?

Lucas: Certainly.

Suttle: At least four different actors have played the role of James Bond. Why not do the same for Indiana Jones and cast a new Indy?

Lucas: Steven [spielberg], Harrison [Ford] and I make those films as a team.

Suttle: So Harrison Ford is going to be the only Indiana Jones?

Lucas: Yes and Indy 4 will definitely be the last film in the series.

Suttle: When will you begin pre-production on Indy 4?

Lucas: Summer 2005 at the earliest.

Suttle: Are you going to direct again after Episode 3?

Lucas: I'll probably direct a couple of experimental films that are not considered commercial by Hollywood standards. Small films just for fun.

Suttle: What do you mean by experimental?

Lucas: Films that don't follow a linear plot with no beginning or end. An art-house type film.

Suttle: When will the Star Wars films be released on DVD?

Lucas: I haven't really thought about that. It will be some time after Episode 3.

Suttle: What can we expect to see included on the Star Wars DVDs?

Lucas: Well, the technology permits you to do a lot more than you can with video. The discs will probably include interviews, behind-the-scenes stuff, cut scenes, scripts, pre-production stuff and a host of other items.

Suttle: You really don't have enough time to work on the DVDs now?

Lucas: No. Not if I want to have a life. All my time is spent on Episode 2 and my family. The DVDs are just going to have to wait. I'm not going to spend 16 hours a day working on Star Wars.

Suttle: Do you have an e-mail address?

Lucas: No.

Suttle: Does your secretary have one?

Suttle: Would it be alright if I set up an e-mail address for you on the website that could be used to forward fan e-mail to your secretary?

Lucas: Sure.

(SuperShadow: Moved or inspired by George Lucas? If you wish to send Lucas words of encouragement, praise or constructive criticism while he works on Episode 2, then use the following e-mail address: swtpm1@aol.com.)

Suttle: Would you consider making a Star Wars TV show?

Lucas: We might produce a computer-animated show some time in the future.

Suttle: Why a TV show, but no more movies?

Lucas: A TV show would help to keep the Star Wars franchise alive long after the films have left the theaters. Within 10 years, we'll have photo-realistic digital animation. The show would look spectacular. My people will be able to do the show, like they do the books, without myself having to be involved in the day to day grind.

Suttle: What would the TV show focus on?

Lucas: I don't know. We haven't gotten that far in the development of the show yet. I won't start to look at TV options until after 2005.

Suttle: Will you write and direct the show?

Lucas: It will be done the same way we handled the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles with outside writers and directors. I'll oversee the project, but I won't spend much time on it. I'll leave it to others.

Suttle: So you won't be heavily involved?

Lucas: No, I'll be as hands-off with the TV show as I am with the books. I'll let them do what they want within the same limitations that the authors have with the books. I view a Star Wars TV show as being the visual equivalent of the books.

Suttle: So it won't be your vision of Star Wars?

Lucas: Like the books, it won't be my personal vision, but it will be a part of Star Wars. Something the fans can enjoy.

Suttle: The entire plot to Episode 1 leaked from the set many months prior to the films release. Are you going to be able to avoid a similar fate with Episode 2?

Lucas: Security will be a lot tighter this time around. We'll do more to protect ourselves. No more stolen scripts.

Suttle: How did somebody manage to steal the script?

Lucas: One of my people got careless at Leavesden.

Suttle: Do you think it is really possible to keep the plot a secret considering the thousands of people who work on your films?

Lucas: We'll find out with Episode 2. We're going to do everything possible to keep the plot secure from prying eyes. A lot has changed since we made the original films. You didn't have an internet back then.

Suttle: Is the internet a good or bad thing?

Lucas: It's a great educational tool, but it's just awful for movie makers. Film makers have a very difficult time keeping the plots to their films secret because everybody wants to leak what they know to the internet. It's a way to become famous I guess.

Suttle: To shift gears a little, why didn't you ever re-marry after divorcing from Marcia?

Lucas: I've come close to re-marrying a couple of times, but things didn't work out.

Suttle: Are you referring to Linda Ronstadt and Cindy Margolis?

Suttle: Do you still see Cindy?

Lucas: No, I haven't seen her in a while. We talk on the phone every few months. She's doing well. She got married.

Suttle: Why didn't you marry her?

Lucas: She wanted kids and I'm just too old to start a new family.

Suttle: Do you think you will ever settle down again?

Lucas: No, it's not in the cards.

Suttle: Do most of the women you date turn out to be supermodels?

Lucas: It works out that way. Those just happen to be the kind of women I meet. It's getting kind of late. Do you want to get something to eat?

Suttle: Ok.

Lucas shuts down his computer and locks up his desk. We exit his office. Lucas tells his secretary that he will be leaving for the day. We head for an elevator that leads to an underground parking garge located under the building. We get off the elevator and head over to Lucas' car. Lucas starts up his car (a carribean-blue Mazzerati) and we leave the ranch. Our destination is one of Lucas' favorite restaurants located in town. 25 minutes later we arrive at a restaurant and are quickly seated by one of Lucas' friends, who runs the restaurant. After placing our orders, I continue with the interview:

Suttle: The cover of the script you gave me says: "Star Wars Episode 2: Throne of the Empire." Will this be the final title?

George Lucas: When I was writing Episode 1, the title on the earliest script was "The Beginning," but that only served as a preliminary title. "Throne of the Empire" will not be the title I'll use for the film, but it is the working title. It summarizes the thrust of the Episode 2 story, which is Palpatine's quest to become the Emperor.

Suttle: When will you release the title for Episode 2?

George Lucas: Sometime in the latter half of 2001.

Suttle: When will the teaser for the film hit theaters?

George Lucas: It will probably be released during Thanksgiving 2001.

Suttle: Why is the Jedi Council helpless to stop Palpatine from taking over the Republic?

George Lucas: The Jedi are unable to figure out that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. He is able to hide his dark-side self completely from the Jedi. Palpatine destroys the Jedi without the Jedi knowing that this is what he's doing. The Jedi never see it coming.

Suttle: Can't the Jedi use the Force to see the future?

George Lucas: They can foresee that bad things are going to happen, but they think that it’s limited to the effects of the Clone Wars. They're unable to foresee what Palpatine is going to do. Palpatine, on the outside, appears to be a very mild-mannered man. No one considers that he really wants to be Emperor.

George Lucas: The Jedi didn’t bother to tell each other where they were hiding in case they were later captured by the Empire. Yoda and Obi-Wan only know about each other. Yoda and Obi-Wan have no means to sense these other Jedi. So what did you think of Episode 1?

Suttle: It was a good film. The first half was nearly perfect, but it did get slow in some parts. The special effects were impressive and the final battle sequences were top notch.

George Lucas: It took over four years to make the film. How would you have improved it?

Suttle: I would have included several more action sequences. You can never have enough action in these films.

George Lucas: That's your opinion. (laughs)

Suttle: You have less than two years to complete Episode 2. Is that going to be a factor?

George Lucas: If it were up to me, I would spend about four years working on each film, but because of contractual obligations we have to release these films every three years. It makes things tough because there is so much work to be done. Ultimately, it won't be a problem. We'll just have to work longer hours. (laughs)

Suttle: Does it make a difference to ILM how much time you have to work on the film?

George Lucas: ILM wants as much time as possible in order to improve and upgrade their software and hardware. The less time they have the less time they have for development. I’m really pushing the special-effects envelope in Episode 2 so they are going to be pushed for time.

Suttle: Is the large-scale aquatic battle a myth or reality?

George Lucas: It would be something new to set a battle in a water environment. The problem is that ILM can’t really pull-off that kind of sequence at this point. It is extremely difficult to create synthetic water that doesn’t look fake. That technology is still a few years away from perfection.

Suttle: What kind of features are going to be on the Star Wars DVDs?

George Lucas: I haven't really thought much about that at this point. What would you like to see included?

Suttle: It would be nice to have both the wide screen and pan-and-scan versions of the films on the DVDs. It would be nice to have both the original versions and special editions of each classic film. There should be an extensive section about the making of the films. And you should do an audio commentary that can be heard over each film. You might include the various film scripts and pre-production art work. There are many other things that the fans would like to see.

George Lucas: Well, I'm glad I don't have to worry about all that right now.

Suttle: Can you give me a summary of what filming will be like for Episode 2?

George Lucas: We'll film for about 12 weeks total. We'll start filming in Tunisia at the end of June. After the work in Tunisia is completed, we'll then film scenes in Italy. Finally, we'll make our way to Sydney to do all the interior shots for the film.

Suttle: Are you planning to do some re-shoots later on when you start to put the film together?

George Lucas: Yes, we always plan several weeks of additional filming because I can never be certain what kinds of additions or changes I will need to make. Are you going to be able to visit the set this summer?

Suttle: Yes.

George Lucas: Make sure you make arrangements with my secretary before you head back home.

Suttle: I certainly will. Back to Episode 2, are most of the secondary roles going to be filled by non-American actors?

George Lucas: Yes, it's going to be cheaper for us to use the local talent than to bring in actors from the States. There are some great actors in Australia.

Suttle: They film Farscape in Australia.

George Lucas: What's that?

Suttle: It's a sci-fi TV show on the Sci-Fi Channel. It's produced by the Jim Henson people. It has well-done special effects and in-depth character interaction.

George Lucas: I don't have time to watch a lot of TV.

Suttle: It's a new show. It's pretty interesting.

George Lucas: Could you get me a video of the show?

Suttle: I don't tape the show, but I'll tape some episodes for you.

George Lucas: Thanks.

Suttle: So what kind of TV shows or movies do you have time to watch?

George Lucas: I mainly watch news shows and historical shows. Not very often though. If I want to see a movie, the studios will send me a print of the film so that I can watch it in my personal theater.

Suttle: That's pretty cool.

George Lucas: It's one of the perks of being in the business.

Suttle: Why not film Indy 4 and 5 back to back?

George Lucas: I'm not sure Steven and Harrison are willing to commit to two more Indy films. We only have one script at this point. We'll be lucky just to make part 4. Indy 5 will never be made with Steven and Harrison.

Suttle: When the day comes that ILM can create photo-realistic, computer-generated human actors, would you consider making computer-generated Indy Jones films?

George Lucas: That technology is still probably a decade away. It's a theoretical possibility. I'm just not sure I'll want to make any more of those kinds of films down the line. I'm getting tired of making big-budget films.

Suttle: What can you tell us about Yoda fighting in the prequels?

George Lucas: He'll face Palpatine in Episode 3.

Suttle: Will that be the ultimate battle between the light and dark sides of the Force?

George Lucas: It will be the most technologically complex fight sequence in film history.

George Lucas: Yoda and Palpatine will use practically every possible Force power they know on each other.

Suttle: So Palpatine didn't show all he had at the end of ROTJ?

George Lucas: No, Palpatine didn't consider Luke a serious threat. He had no reason to show the full extent of his powers.

Suttle: Well, we already know that Yoda and Palpatine survive the prequels so what is going to make the battle suspenseful?

George Lucas: Seeing their fighting skills will be impressive.

Suttle: Is Palpatine as powerful as Yoda?

George Lucas: That's hard to say. They are the two most powerful Force users in the galaxy.

Suttle: If Anakin's midichlorian count is even higher than Yoda's, then why isn't he the most powerful Force user?

George Lucas: Anakin is young in the prequels. He's not very experienced. He also diminishes his potential by falling to the dark side. After his transformation into half-machine, he is never quite the same. He never reaches his full potential until he destroys the Emperor.

Suttle: What causes Anakin's disfigurement?

George Lucas: His duel with Obi-Wan in Episode 3 is the cause.

Suttle: Is it true that he falls into a molten pit during the duel?

George Lucas: It's a catastrophic event, not necessarily a molten pit though.

Suttle: In the novelization of Return of the Jedi, Obi-Wan tells Luke that Anakin fell into a molten pit?

George Lucas: Yes, but I kept that dialogue out of the film in order to keep my options open.

Suttle: Is the prequel story continually evolving?

George Lucas: The basic plot is set in stone. However, the smaller details change depending on what I think is best for the story. It wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

Suttle: Was Boba Fett originally in the prequels when you wrote the back-story in the 1970's?

George Lucas: No.

Suttle: Why not?

George Lucas: He wasn't created until we started working on the Empire Strikes Back.

Suttle: So why did you add him to the Episode 2 storyline?

George Lucas: He's one of the most fascinating characters from the original films. I thought it would be interesting to show the fans what he was doing in the prequels.

Suttle: Why create a new origin for Boba Fett for Episode 2?

George Lucas: His identity is separate from what you have read about him in the novels and comics.

George Lucas: It's not creatively satisfying to copy what has been printed about Fett's background. Fett's history is clouded in mystery. So no matter what you think you know about Fett, you really don't know anything about him. It's more interesting to come up with new ideas. He's my creation after all and the novels and comics aren’t my personal vision of Star Wars.

Suttle: You've described Fett's role in Episode 2 as "prominent." What does that mean?

George Lucas: He's a major character in the film with many scenes.

Suttle: Why doesn't Fett have much dialogue in the script?

George Lucas: Fett is all about action, not words.

Suttle: Are you going to have him wink at the camera when he takes his helmet off in the film?

George Lucas: No. (laughs)

Suttle: You’re going to give Fett a new look for the prequels. Why?

George Lucas: Episode 2 takes place twenty-two years prior to the original films so he’s obviously going to look different in his younger days.

Suttle: What's the last scene we'll see in Episode 3?

George Lucas: The story began on Tatooine in the first film so it will end on Tatooine in Episode 3.

Suttle: So we'll literally see Obi-Wan walking into the Tatooine desert after leaving Luke with Owen and Beru Lars?

George Lucas: No, the last scene will show Obi-Wan, Bail Organa, Amidala, Luke, Leia, Owen & Beru Lars and several other characters together on Tatooine before some of them leave for Alderaan.

Suttle: When Episode 3 is in the can, why not sell Lucasfilm to the highest bidder and ride of into the sunset like Indy did in the Last Crusade?

George Lucas: I will never sell Lucasfilm.

George Lucas: It's about control. If I sell Lucasfilm to the public, I would have to answer to the stockholders, assuming I were still with the company. The stockholders would, obviously, demand a never-ending supply of new Star Wars movies.

Suttle: Why is that a bad thing?

George Lucas: If someone else owned the rights, they would want to maximize the profits from their investment, which would mean they would make a new Star Wars film every two years or so.

Suttle: A new Star Wars film every two years would be great. What's wrong with that?

George Lucas: The franchise would be run into the ground. It would be more about profits than quality. Star Wars would become as formulaic as the James Bond films.

Suttle: In fairness to James Bond, you keep using the same ideas in Star Wars like the lightsabre duels, space battles, chase scenes, laser shoot-outs and the like.

George Lucas: Yes, but that’s my vision.

Suttle: When you're gone, what do you want your heirs to do with Star Wars and Indy in the future?

George Lucas: No more Star Wars films, but they can do what they want with Indy.

Suttle: The production of the Lord of the Rings movies seems to be going on quite well without the author, J.R.R. Tolkien. Don't you think your heirs could find somebody qualified and dedicated enough to make more Star Wars films some day?

George Lucas: Once I'm gone, I won't have control over Star Wars anymore. My wishes are that they not make anymore Star Wars films ever. I believe Tolkien sold the film rights to his works and didn't really care whether they made the movies or not as long as Disney studios wasn't involved.

Suttle: If someone in the future develops computer software that allows a person to make a movie on their computer, would you mind if people made Star Wars films at home?

George Lucas: If they were making these films for personal use, then that would be OK. But I wouldn't want these films broadcast on the Internet or on any other medium.

Suttle: Why are you so steadfast against someone else making Star Wars films for theatrical release?

George Lucas: Star Wars is sorta my thing. I made the first film when everybody told me not to. Everybody told me that it would ruin my career. Even the studios thought it was a bad idea. If Alan Ladd, Jr. hadn't been in charge of Fox, then Star Wars might not have ever been made. I stuck with my vision and things turned out surprisingly well. If I had listened to the advice of others, Star Wars wouldn't exist. Skywalker Ranch probably wouldn't exist. Maybe, even Indiana Jones wouldn't have been made. Star Wars made a lot of things possible. It means more to me than you can imagine. It's my life's work. Letting other people make Star Wars films would be like Picasso letting other people work on his paintings. Picasso would never have done that because, if he had, then it wouldn't be a Picasso. Likewise, Star Wars is not Star Wars without my involvement. When Episode 3 is completed, that's the end of the story. I don't have any more stories for Star Wars films. The sequel trilogy is just an idea in my head with no concrete plot or story.

Suttle: What is your idea for the sequels?

George Lucas: Han, Leia and Luke are in the autumn years of their lives. The Republic and the Jedi are also there, but that's it. I haven't thought more about it because I know that I will never make those films.

Suttle: It just seems like such a waste. In a few years, you would be able to make Star Wars films that are completely computer generated. You wouldn't even have to leave the Ranch to make Star Wars films in the future. Are you going to be able to resist making new Star Wars films with the awesome digital-animation that will be available in the future?

George Lucas: When Episode 3 is finished, that's it for me. No more Star Wars. It'll be time for me to move on to other projects. Star Wars has consumed enough of my life. It's just a movie. Always remember that it's just a movie.

------------------

Wart

JPBDWART.jpg

Get your free JPB guide at:

http://jedipowerbattlesguide.homestead.com/JPB.html

[This message has been edited by Darth Wart (edited August 25, 2000).]

Guest Acid_Rain327

Well, I can say this entire thing is a hoax.

There are obvious flaws in this guy's story:

-George Lucas's secretary has a public e-mail account? An AOL account? Yeah, right...a shiny silver dollar goes to the first person who can figure out where mail sent to that address ends up... and I'm sure the guy answers the mail right away, instead of being smart and playing it off like the secretary's too loaded with stuff to answer immediately.

-Lucas won't let his own, personal crew even catch a glimpse of the script, but he hands it over to a reporter...one word, say it with me: BULL!

-They obviously didn't start filming in Tunisia; Lucas planned to head to Sydney first, that's why he sent McCallum there, almost six months ago.

-The whole thing about Boba Fett is wrong; I could tell you what's up with Fett in Episode II, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. If you have to know, then e-mail me.

-Lucas is extremely adamant about Star Wars being his vision - there is no way in hell he'd ever consider fan suggestions.

There are many, many more contradictions and the like in this thing, but you get the picture.

[This message has been edited by Acid_Rain327 (edited August 25, 2000).]

Guest Acid_Rain327

Well, I can say this entire thing is a hoax.

There are obvious flaws in this guy's story:

-George Lucas's secretary has a public e-mail account? An AOL account? Yeah, right...a shiny silver dollar goes to the first person who can figure out where mail sent to that address ends up... and I'm sure the guy answers the mail right away, instead of being smart and playing it off like the secretary's too loaded with stuff to answer immediately.

-Lucas won't let his own, personal crew even catch a glimpse of the script, but he hands it over to a reporter...one word, say it with me: BULL!

-They obviously didn't start filming in Tunisia; Lucas planned to head to Sydney first, that's why he sent McCallum there, almost six months ago.

-The whole thing about Boba Fett is wrong; I could tell you what's up with Fett in Episode II, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. If you have to know, then e-mail me.

-Lucas is extremely adamant about Star Wars being his vision - there is no way in hell he'd ever consider fan suggestions.

There are many, many more contradictions and the like in this thing, but you get the picture.

[This message has been edited by Acid_Rain327 (edited August 25, 2000).]

Guest Acid_Rain327

Coincidently enough, there's a new Jedi Council question from the official site, that deals with these very issues:

Is it true that George Lucas has been consulting with some fans who have web sites to get help with writing Episode II?

Answered by: Rick McCallum

Absolutely not. How ridiculous.

George has a very clear vision about the story of Star Wars that he won't allow to be swayed by the whims of the Internet, the media, critics or anyone. The Internet rumors this time around are possibly even more funny and off base than they were for the first film.

Guest Acid_Rain327

Coincidently enough, there's a new Jedi Council question from the official site, that deals with these very issues:

Is it true that George Lucas has been consulting with some fans who have web sites to get help with writing Episode II?

Answered by: Rick McCallum

Absolutely not. How ridiculous.

George has a very clear vision about the story of Star Wars that he won't allow to be swayed by the whims of the Internet, the media, critics or anyone. The Internet rumors this time around are possibly even more funny and off base than they were for the first film.

Guest Jedi Kanigget

I checked, that e-mail given does exist. Who's it is, I don't know, but Acid's right, it's not Lucas' secretary.

------------------

SigFinII.jpg

Guest Jedi Kanigget

I checked, that e-mail given does exist. Who's it is, I don't know, but Acid's right, it's not Lucas' secretary.

------------------

SigFinII.jpg

Archived