Home

Bad.

Guest Saesee Tom

Guest Kurgan

Well with analog and more buttons it's becoming easier to do.

A game like JK would be very hard, mainly because you have all those force power hotkey's and weapon hotkeys that, if they are replaced with cycling, really slows down gameplay.

However, many consoles are supporting keyboards/mice so perhaps that will change shortly.

A simple FPS that has a basic set of weapons, and your jump/crouch, and very little aiming would work fine on a console gamepad (ie: any pre-Quake FPS game).

Actually, I can see ObiWan coming to a console before JK. (Now this is assuming we're right about the info we've recieved thus far and they don't spring anything major on us in the next few months of course) Why? Well in JK, you did alot of shooting, so aiming was a high priority. Fast, aiming at that. Plus you needed to be able to switch to any of your 12+ weapons instantaenously, and all your force power and item hotkeys, etc.

But, apparently, ObiWan will focus mainly on using ONE weapon, with alot of tapping and holding style combos with the buttons (would be simple with analog). You don't have to be as precise, just fast. And the graphical capabilities, with a little tweaking, etc could be brought home on the console.

Hey, if they can do Q3A and UT on the Dreamcast and PS2, they can do ObiWan.

But, JK is another story.. graphically it's no problem, but I think the control setup would warrant a keyboard/mouse combo (or else something like what Vagabond does, with dual flight sticks and throttle peddles, if that's your thing).

But, I figure folks who start out playing FPSs on the gamepad setups probably will be more comfortable with those than folks who are set in the "mouse+keys" setup.

Kurgan

Archived