Home

Caulk, the weird red texture, how much should i use it?

Marzgog

I have searched a few tutorials, with no luck... ...I use caulk when i add a picture on the wall... ...I use caulk when i have wery thin brushes that i dont want to flicker badly in-game... ...I use caulk to cover some sides of brushes that will never be seen cos' i've heard that it increases the framerate... ...But i was just wondering if i should use caulk to texture the outer side of all rooms, you know, the side that will never be seen? Oh yeah, now that im at it... ...why should i not use the hollow button? what is the con's and pro's of it?

Using Caulk texture actually can speed up your compile times.

The simple answer is yes you should use caulk for everything.

You should read some of the Quake3world forums. When Quake3 came out and we started editing for it, we found this little trick out. Even though Carmack said it should be doing anything.. But it did... go figure...

Basicly what happens is that the compile ignores all surfaces of caulk.

thx, next question: I have a staircase with an secret area under it, i added some light in there so i could see something, but when i play it the light comes trough the edges of the stair brushes. How should i counter this problem?? should i just make the brushes thicker, or should i add an extra brush on the inside on all surfaces to block the light?

Archived