Home

Map Object (.md3) Texture Problems

Calandil

I'm having issues getting the texture to show on the custom models I'm making to use as map objects. Sometimes I can get the textures to show, while other times (while apparently doing the same procedure) it cannot find the texture.

I'm using 3D Studio Max 4 (also tried it with Gmax 1.1).

I make sure the .jpg or .tga (I've tried both) is in my models/map_objects/customnamehere/ folder when I apply the material in Max, and I also make sure the "Smart Paths - Use 'model' directory as root if found" button is clicked when exporting with Pop n Plugs.

One time I got it to work on my model, but after making some changes it no longer works on my current model, plus I tried re-exporting the old one and it also no longer works. But then I made 2 boxes as a test and got it to work. It seems random. :confused:

Is there any common (or not so common) troubleshooting tips for exporting map object models? Or perhaps an in-depth tutorial so I can see what I'm doing wrong? (Most tutorials I find specifically for JO are for player models, the only map object ones I have found are for Quake 3 and I'm following them best I can.)

Thanks for any help, I'm thinking about just giving up at this point, and I was really starting to like my model.

-Suicide20

Here are a couple:

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/quake3/tutorials/max-to-q3/max-to-q3.shtml

http://merlin.zsnes.com/tutorials/export/index.html

Those are actually aimed at player models, so all you really do is follow the exporting step and set frames to 0. Then follow the NPherno's MD3 Compiler instructions as usual.

EDIT: By the way, if you are doing it in Jedi Outcast I would skip the NPherno's step, as I was unable to get them working after running them through that compiler. I would recommend rebuilding your normals in Milkshape, as it's the only one I've had success with.

Archived