Home

Escape from Monkey Island. What's up?

Mr.Lukie

I just noticed something.... everyone here have long, lasting conversations about Monkey Island 1,2 and 3, but they don't talk about EMI. I know that the general attitude toward the game in this forum is very low, and this is an opinion I share, but why aren't people discussing it?

Guest Das Mole

well, the only thing we'd really be able to discuss about it is how crappy and sadly retarded it is. i mean, if that's what you really want is a discussion about emi, we could make one i guess. although i'm not sure how many posts besides the original there would be...

for me the glass truly is half empty isn't it?

I think people don't discuss it is because we're trying to forget parts of it. So I don't know why I'm setting forth this list of pros and cons about the game. I guess it's because I'm just getting it out, hoping someone at Lucasarts will see it and influence any future MI games.

EMI Pros:

*Some* of the music reminded me of the earlier games.

Guybrush was still voiced by Dom and made me laugh.

I did actually laugh out loud at some of the parts, (though I did more so in the previous games)

The background art was pretty.

I admit I *was* stuck to the computer for a few days playing it.

EMI cons:

Elaine: she has become a jerk

Guybrush: he has become cluelessly ignorant. (He was just silly before)

LeChuck: he's serving an antipirate guy (LeChuck serves noone)

Ozzie: "get rid of pirates" is the villain plot

Planet Threepwood and other Tourist trap areas

Murray: one scene and not as cleverly funny

Stan owns a timeshare

Giant Monkey head is a robot???

HT Marley???

Charles L. Charles

I. Cheese. 'nuff said.

"3d" papery looking characters against a smooth background.

Monkey Combat

Senseless Puzzles (prosthetics, Monkey Combat, etc)

Unsucccesful attempts to bring back old jokes "You fight like a cow," etc.

"T" rating. (remember when Guybrush said in CMI: "You'll ruin our repuation for making family oriented games"? they just about did it here) MI1, 2, and even 3 had humor based on just zaniness, and was overall good clean haw haw funny. EMI strains and becomes less innocent in areas.

etc. etc. etc.

You're right, DDog, ...and I was exaggerating a bit. I enjoyed EMI when I played it (I still remember those late nights of nothing but Monkey Island, ha ha ha, rock on!), and I still enjoy aspects of it. But overall I liked the others a whole lot better.

I don't think they planned that stuff out at the beginning with HT, one reason because when Big Whoop was thought of during the making of MI2, it wasn't this big "doorway to the dead" thing. The story writers who took over during CMI came up with that, according to an interview either Ron Gilbert or one of the other original Monkey Island guys. So I imagine the same is true with HT.

Monkey Island remains the greatest adventure game series, and EMI is still one of the better computer (and now console) games out there. My hats still go off to the whole Monkey Island teams. May we see much more Guybrush in the future.

--Enchilada Man: no signiture included.

actually, emi was the most PG-13, the other ones were, well, how to explain it...

from MI1

is that a banana in your pocket or are u just glad to see me?

from MI2

I ll rip yer bones off while u r still alive and make me a chair. i ll call it my screaming chair, and i ll sit on it everyday to hear u scream in pain

from MI3

ah, quicksand. all the cool stuff i got from the snake is being sucked of my pants!

*Opens eyes widelly*

wot a strange sensation...

PS- this quotes are exact cause i cant remember the exact words, but they work well on proving my point ;)

MI1, 2, and even 3 had humor based on just zaniness, and was overall good clean haw haw funny.

Keyword here was "overall."

I just meant EMI was more deservant of T than the others. MI1, 2, and 3 did have their subtle jokes and stuff, but not as much as EMI, which is still a great game despite the more forced humor.

In CMI, I never considered that an innuendo with the quicksand. I mean of course it would be weird feeling to have objects fall out one's pants in quicksand. He clearly identifies that the things he found in the snake were falling out. I think that's a stretch to call that innuendo, and frankly, I'd rather you not convince me it is. If you want to think it is, go ahead.

yadda yadda. OK, I think I'll shut up now.

"If you do, you'll get my neverending gratitude, baby."

"Stop using your picking-up-wenches voice on me, Threepwood."

".....what?"

THAT'S a T rating, (at least, for those stuck-up rating people.) but also how about this?

(I know it's not accurate, but it gets the point across.)

"I'm the harbormistress. I take care of the ships."

"Baby, you can take care of my ships anytime..."

-DD

Archived