Home

hmm lightsabers

J-2000

ive followed the noob tutorial on htis forum to make my own light saber on GMAX and well i got so far, it comes up on the select saber bit but when i select it looks like the damn defualt saber and lets face it, that saber is boring what am i doing wrong?

ive used more than pone texture and the saber has more than one piece to it due to the multiple skins, anither thing is that it works fine on the MD3 view (ive converted it no worries bout that)

so any ideas on whats wrong?

oh and one more thing can you use this technique to make your own char models?

thanx in advance

J2K

you can have multiple textures and multiple segments of a saber hilt model, so that's not your problem. I can help you but I need more info. I'm not sure EXACTLY what it is but we can figure it out. If you successfully compiled the GLM file and the icon displays in the saber select menu, then you should at least have the mesh there when you pick it.

The first thing I do when I'm having problems implementing new meshs is to drop down the console. It displays error messages. So right after you select the hilt and join the game, look in the console (Shift+~) for errors. I think they're usually in yellow text. It could be a number of reasons why it won't load the mesh, but looking there first will give you a clue.

As for modelling characters, you can use Gmax, but you won't be able to put them INTO jk2 with it. Basically you need 3D Studio Max to compile character models.

That's exactly what that means. Vertex is a point where 2 lines intersect to form an angle. No different on a polygon; a polygon is a triangle made up of 3 intersecting sides thus creating 3 vertices. To reduce polygons...you either do it manually removing unecessesary detail in the mesh, or using the mesh optimization tool for a quick fix. The tool is on the Utilities tab (looks like a hammer). Check the help files for more detail on how to use it.

Archived