Home

Perhaps Governments will later have a say....

PhantomXSquared

People all over the gaming world has wondered how companies in the future will be able to recreate a realistic representation of an actual society without limiting the actions of all the players due to the fear that some players actions will have such a dramatic impact on a persons playing experience that they will quit.

A few people left Ultima Online early on because they couldn't stand losing their hard earned items all the time due to Murderers, but I must say more people left due to horrible bugs and horrible lag then this.

Then it hit me. For Star Wars Galaxies, they could perhaps one day initiate the Government system. Every government in the Star Wars universe, from Tatooine to Naboo, all the way to Lok or Corellia has a different system of Government. Places like Tatooine has no government, they just have random police activities, but even that is not feared by the planets inhabitants. Perhaps going to a planet like Tatooine will put yourself into alot more danger than going into a more civilized planet with an actual government and police function like Corellia or Naboo.

I would like to see this type of system since it would safely create the representation of the true Tatooine, as being the "hotbed of criminals and outcasts". Perhaps on a planet like Tatooine where law does not exist, people could join militia's and act as their own police, and perhaps they could throw in the Outcasting system to make sure excessive griefing cannot occur. In places like Naboo, murder is just not allowed like it is in the current system on all planets, but perhaps with this system murder CAN occur on Tatooine, but the murderer is sent to prison and suffers and 24hour downtime.

What do you think? Could this type of system work? Would this type of system help your sense of immersion? Would this type of system make each planet seem unique, and perhaps dangerous as some should be? Discuss, as you must.

Another thing that can be realized is that you will soon be able to become a politician as soon as player cities arrive in SWG. Perhaps a lawless planet like Tatooine, and its central hub of criminals Mos Eisley, would be the perfect place for a local player city to provide a starting point for a local government.

Another thing I would love to see to add to immersion is NPC thieves and murderers. Not stealing from players(yet), but stealing from wondering NPC's inside the city itself. Think about it this way.

Your walking the streets of Mos Eisley with eyes in the back of your heads. You walk slow and steady, as if there is not a problem in the world coming here. This is the way you must present yourself in such a place or you will quickly become the victim of a crime. Your head swings from side to side, checking out the locals and making sure you are not caught off guard. Suddenly out of the corner of your eye you see a stocky Bothan running somewhere. You turn to look and suddenly you hear a woman scream, "That punk just stole my credits! Someone Help!". Your job as the local player cities Militia is of course to chase after this man, so you take aim at his destination to try and cut him off. When you reach within blaster range you pull out your weapon and fire a warning shot at the mans back. He keeps running, with more determination then before. So you continue firing in his direction until you eventually strike a shot directly into his back, where he drops and falls to the ground. You look inside his inventory to find he stole a wopping 400 credits from this poor woman! You kindly take the money from the man and head over to the victim with the money in hand.

This sort of scenario could happen with such a system of government being installed into this game in lawless planets like Tatooine and Lok instead of the usual, "you just can't do anything negative" that is plagueing MMORPG's today.

with the exception of being able to outcast players out of towns I really like your idea's. I can see them working pretty well and really adding content and player interaction to the game.

I really have nothing to add, just that I think you got some great idea's. :)

Archived