Home

My Specs.......i need help

Kaiser Spaso

Given the Processor you have now, its an older motherboard, if thats the case it most likely wont be able to handle a P4.

You might as well get a new motherboard with DDR RAM slots, its much more effective than SDRAM anyways, computers consist of more component than just Processor, Vid Card, and RAM ya know -_-

Unfortunatly

He was just saying if he had a computer with specs like those. Certainly everyone knows that Akabane. O_o :o

Well anyways, that PC will do great Spaso. Though I'd recommend not getting a MX card. MX cards usually have a bad expectency of reliability :D If you want a great card thats really a big bang for the buck I'd suggest a Geforce Ti 4200 128 MB. Just stay away from all those MX cards; And get a 64 MB or higher card...Pricewatch has great deals btw

ok i have a few questions.........

how do i check to see what motherboard i have now?

how would i be able to tell if my motherboard could support a pentium 4 processor?

and ummm............................i know i had more but i will post them later

Good questions.

If you motherboard supports a Pentium 3 733 MHZ CPU than im sorry to say but it wont support a Pentium 4. To check what motherboard you have you'd probally want to contact your computer manufacture...usually bios doesnt work so well.

If you dont feel comfortable opening up your PC I'd suggest buying a premaid PC from like Dell or something. :c3po:

Originally posted by DarQJeChTi

If you want a great card thats really a big bang for the buck I'd suggest a Geforce Ti 4200 128 MB. Just stay away from all those MX cards; And get a 64 MB or higher card...Pricewatch has great deals btw

WEll, when I got my Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, I installed enough fans that my desk had a small tornado ;)

I burned through 3 NVidia cards in a month. All died from exsessive heat. Tried adding heat sinks, more fans, etc (Didn't go as far as a liquid cooled or refigerated case)

Then I decided to try an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, and guess what

2 months now without a single glitch..

BTW, the GeForces were not MX cards, but Ti4200's

i don't really want to a buy a new comp just yet.......

i am kind of new at the whole "upgrade a comp yourself thing"

would i be able to get rid of my motherboard and bring a new one in?

and i am pretty sure i know this answer but i am not possitive ......

would a new motherboard come with a processor and a vid card?

Yeah Spaso, you can just buy a new motherboard; And you could also buy one that has a CPU in it but rarely I've seen ones comes with a video card. If you got like a Frys Electronics near you, they usually sell CPU/Motherboard Combos for under $100.00 Check whether they got a Heatsink tho, usually they're barebone ones that dont come with a heatsink fan for the CPU. Also i'd recommend getting one with a AGP 4x or 8x slot and DDR slots.

OHH yea one more thing, you may need to get another power supply, you could get a whole entire new case for 30 bucks at pricewatch.com...aluminum too and with a window hehe 300 watt supply included...---You'll need at least a 300 watt supply to run a P4

Edit: Doh, Darq beat me to the punch!

Spaso, you can bring in a new motherboard, but then youd need new RAM too, unless you didnt buy a DDR RAM motherboard, which would be quite dumb.

Motherboards tend not to come with video cards, but you can get bare-bones systems that come with motherboard, processor, and... some other things, depends on where you buy it.

Computers are REAL easy to build, all you need is money. $600 can get you a system that will last a good while, providing you already have a monitor, you can also save some money if you salvage components from your old comp.

I dont know if pricewatch.com has listing for barebones systems, but just browse around that site for goodies and hope you have some decent cash ^_^

http://www.newegg.com is a good place to get stuff provided you live in the united states.

ATXmotherboard-p4 at least 80 USD (DDR)

CPU p4 w/ stock HSF (retail) at least 150 USD (for anything decent)

GPU at least 75 USD (maybe 50 USD) **need at least GF3 or Radeon 7500

ATXPower Supply- for p4 at least 50 USD but its going to be more for a quality one (ex. my Antec true 430w was 160 USD)

*note you'll need at least a 350w p/s accounted that most p/s are overrated and will burn out before their set wattage. Also you want to look at their 12v 5v 3v usage if your going to connect a bunch of stuff to your box.

THe hardest part to upgrading is removing the old motherboard from the case. Oggfg, i think i put mine it to tight and it was nearly impossible to remove the screws (also had a PoS screwdriver 'cause all my others were magnitized)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you're looking at about 400 USD min.

Originally posted by Spaso

i don't really want to a buy a new comp just yet.......

i am kind of new at the whole "upgrade a comp yourself thing"

would i be able to get rid of my motherboard and bring a new one in?

and i am pretty sure i know this answer but i am not possitive ......

would a new motherboard come with a processor and a vid card?

you can buy a p3 1ghz chip i duno if the pins are the same on the 733 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3420217696&category=14292 take a look at that one... its a 370 pin...

Archived