Home

? Question about processor and video card

InnateEnigma

Okay I have this computer with xp 1.30ghz amd athalon processor

and 512 ram currently it has an 8mb shared video card is it worth to buy a video card and will this processor be able to handle SWG?

I can afford up to 128mb video card so if it is worth it could someone suggest what video card I should get if assuming SWG i will run smoothly with the athalon processor.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Well, it all sounds good. If your video card is using a PCI card slot and you have the funds, then by all means, go out and get a better video card. If you can afford a 128 mb card, I suggest a Geforce 4.

Hi,

It depends on how much you want to spend. Perhaps the game runs well enough that you won't need a new vidcard? I am going to test that for myself tonight. No need to buy a new one if you can play and are content with it for the time being. Comp. components always get cheaper near XMas.

But if you want to buy a card then do a little research first to save some money. Go to the http://www.anandtech.com forums and see what the experts have to say there. Most of them are suggesting ATI's but they are a bit more expensive than NVIDIA's. On the other hand, they seem to produce better results. The FX line is DX 9.0 supported but from what I have read, the GeForce4 will run with DX9 as well although the FXs are designed with DX9 in mind. The 9500P is faster (stock) than 9600P for the Radeons but run neck-and-neck if OCed. The 9700 is better than the last two but is around 200 USD.

I'm in the same boat as you really. My budget is sitting around $150. I'm leaning towards the FX5600 b/c it's US-made, cheaper than 9600P, and most importantly, well-supported in Linux.

Don't forget to check newegg and pricewatch for good deals :)

Archived