Home

Area 51 Laptop IS FAILING ME

Prince Xizor

i bought this computer thinking it was the best of the best

it says on the back of the galaxies box it accepts my ATI Mobile Radeon video card, but everytime it loads objects goin into a server, i get kicked out & it says bs bout my video card. What do i need to do to fix this?

It most likely is not the computer! (trust me im a computer tech major) There are several problems with video cards, Im assuming you have a geforce 128mb or a radeon 128mb. There is a difference between the cards in desktops and laptops, SWG people say that they dont officially support ANY laptops at all! So take a look on the official forums and be as specific as you can. Someone is bound to know what the problem is. One other thing to do is make sure that you have the latest drivers for your card, check alienware or the manufacuter of your vid card.

Just checked the listing of suported cards * bearing in mind its not been updated to even include the newer GForce / Radeon cards as yet * and it doesnt state your certain card sorry.

Incase you have not seen the list ( thinks most people have ) .

Nvidia Chipsets

GeForce DDR

GeForce 256

GeForce 2

GeForce 2 GTS

GeForce 2 MX

GeForce 2 Pro

GeForce 3

GeForce 3 Ti 200

GeForce 3 Ti 500

GeForce 4 MX 420

GeForce 4 MX 440

GeForce 4 MX 460

GeForce 4 Ti 4200

GeForce 4 Ti 4400

GeForce 4 Ti 4600

ATI Chipsets

Radeon

Radeon 7200

Radeon 7500

Radeon 8500

Radeon 9000 Pro

Radeon 9500

Radeon 9500 Pro

Radeon 9700 Pro

Matrox Chipsets

Matrox Parhelia-512

So there ya go , as yours is not listed the only thing i can think of is 1) Upgrade you graphic card driver to the latest version.

2) hmm buy a new card sorry :(

Make sure you have Direct X 9.0. you can find it located on I think the first SWG CD, or on Microsofts webpage. :)

With that installed you should be able to play SWG. If not then I guess you are out of luck, which is strange though because it should work on your laptop.

Greetings again.

Ok i done some searching just for you and came up with a possible solution.... Laptop user solution that is....

It seems that you NEED the newest cataylst drivers to get everything to draw and render correctly for ATI Mobility (and most regular AGP) cards - the 3.5 ones. Of course if you try to get these to work from ATI... it will tell you that the INF files will not work unless you have the newest card. So... we HAVE to modify them to work.

1) go to the www site here: rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33693860

2) download the MobileMod 3 software from the site.

3) Install the Mod on your PC.

4) Run the software and click get drivers. It will get you to a screen where you will download the newest catalyst drivers.

5) Expand the drivers you downloaded and now it's time to use the mod program to convert them.

6) Once the .inf file is converted (follow instructions), you MUST run the setup for the catalyst drivers normally AND THEY WILL INSTALL this time. Just converting the drivers will not help... you need to install them. If it does not let you install the new catalyst drivers you downloaded, the did not convert. Go back and try it again.

7) Reboot PC. After the system comes back up, YOU MUST manually set the colors to 32 bit again. (It changes it to 16 bit).

8) Start game and uncheck ALL checks you may have put in any boxes in options EXCEPT "disable hardware mouse cursor".

9) Play.

Should work fine .

Enjoy.

Archived