Home

Builing a PC so need to know if it will run SWG

Scazza

Hi guys, newbie here well on this forum and I am from the UK woohoo. lol.

Any way lets get to the point of the post. I am building me self a new pc becuase the one me family have got is literally sh.it.e!! Its a amd duron 900mhz woth 128mb ram and 64mb g card, bollocks and I wanna play game such as SWG's and im gonna import it soon.

So i have come up with a pc and my budget it £450 and i have used it all up on the system i wil be buying in the near future. I am not gonna go in to all the detail about case and mouse i am buying but just the basics like CPU, RAM and Graphics card so here goes:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP2400

RAM: 2x 256mb Crucial Memory

Graphics Card: Now this is where I am having problems, choosing a graphics card, people are telling me no not go for a Geforce FX gof or a Geforce 4 but my budget for the graphics card is £65, so i have chose thisn one: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48139

if its rubbish then please tell me and suggest a beeter one for under £65.

Cheers Guys.

OK guys, I have put my pc together but not buoght the components yet, just totaling up. So here goes:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP2500

Memory:512mb

Graphics Card: Leadtek WinFast A280 LE TD MyVIVO 128MB Ti4200 8xAGP

They are the main Specs so i am wondering if it will run it nicely?

Cheers

the Ti4200 is a good card, despite its lack of "true" DX9 support. i think you'll be happy with it.

my only recommendation, based on my own experience and what i've heard from others, is go with 2 sticks of 512MB ram (for a total of 1GB). SWG seems to be a memory pig and a half, man. i've heard of people experiencing slowdowns that were eliminated when they threw more ram at their machine.

also, take the time to go through your motherboard BIOS after you build the system. the default settings on most motherboards can be tweaked a little to increase performance. i don't mean overclock, either. there were a few options in my BIOS that i didn't even know what they were, but after reading through the manual, i was able to adjust the settings and now i get SMOOTH gameplay.

used to be, my system would slow to a crawl (5 fps) if i walked into a crowd of other players in a city. now it's not so bad. i also went through all the video card options and set everything for better performance, instead of image quality (i only have a 64MB GeForce 4MX 440).

hope you update us all with what the final system includes, and what kind of performance you get.

Cheers mate. I have come up with the final system components and god its gonna be good. Hopefully wil have it built by the beginning of September!!

I will tell you all the main parts and not the mouse and key board crap lol. So here goes:

CPU: AMD XP2500+ Retail

RAM: Crucial PC2100 256mb DDR 184pin DIMM I did want to get 1gb but my bidget is unable to afford it so I hav gone for 2 of these for 512 RAM.

GFX Card: Leadtek WinFast A280 LE TD MyVIVO 128MB Ti4200 8xAGP

Mobo: Asus A7V8X-X

Thats the main spec, looks godd to me, hat do oyu guys think?

Also once it is all put together and up and running and when I get mt IMported copy of SWG's I will let you guys know how it runs.

So I look forward to seeing you guys on SWG's, I will probably be on the Eclipse Serve becuase its the UNofficial UK server as I have been told.

Cheer To all The Replied. Nice One.

Archived