Home

Hordes of the Underdark!

DarthMuffin

Just came back from vacation, so it can be old news. However, I felt a sudden desire to express my hapiness :)

The new NeverWinter Nights x-pack will let your characters to get to level 40 (and I was hopping for 30).

There will also be 6 new prestige classes, and the new campaign requires you to use lvl 15+ chars! Hope it's gonna be harder than the previous ones...

As the title suggest, most of the adventure will take place in the Underdark with 2 new tilesets.

They also say that there will be over 40 new spells and over 200 new feats (that seams to be quite much... I wonder if it's true).

Anyways, it looks like a great expansion, probably better than Shadows of Undretide. It will be available this winter.

Oh, I forgot; romances are back!!! :D

The original NWN was pretty challenging... I did beat SoU in about a day with a Paladin/Rogue though.

Level 40 sounds coolicious(not a real word), I'll get it when it comes out... Maybe, I DO have Madden 2004 and KOTOR for PC to get also

Originally posted by jediduo

Please tell me about this "Neverwinter Nights." What is it like, what is it about, what could it be compared to, etc.

First off, it's a RPG, and it's based on the 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons rules. Basically, it can be considered as Baldur's Gate with 3-D graphics, but no party support (you may hire one henchmen, but you have limited control over him).

Some people may also consider it as an "Intelligent Diablo II", because of the D&D rules (no mindless killing of hundreds of enemies).

The graphics are usually very good, and it's all in 3-D. You have a nice selection of classes to mess with, as well as a lot of spells and feats (special abilities).

One of the popular complaint about NWN was the lack of party support. I kinda agree with that; being a 2nd edition and BG purist, I found it disappointing. I also don't really like the new ruleset; it looks like the guys at Wizard of the Coast felt like the game needed to be easier to be accessible to more people. Again, I agree with that; back in BG, it could take you many hours to understand the system, but you could evantually understand and enjoy it. The lurning curve in NWN is a _lot_ shorter. Once you're out of the prelude, you only need to inform yourself on the 3rd edition rules and you're set. Personally, I think the 2nd ed. rules were better, but that's just my opinion.

Another complaint was the lack of a good campaign. The producers felt like it was a better idea to include a toolset so that players could create their own campaign (called modules). This may sound cool when you hear about it, but the toolset is _really_ hard to use (at least for me). Also, the majority of player-created modules you will come accross in your carreer will be Action-only or Persistant world modules. So if you like long, deep, good stories, you may have to think twice before buying this game. Of course there are some good story modules, I can't deny that, but as of now, I can only recommand 3-4 modules.

Overall, this is a great game. Not as epic as the BG saga, but it's good. The first x-pack, called Shadows of Undretide, added some stuff and a new campaign, which is waaay too short. If you are going to get the game, I recommand you only buy Hordes of the Underdark when it comes out; SoU isn't really worth anything.

You can find some screenshots and additional info here

Archived