Home

Windows XP + Escape from MI = Problems

scythezrelli

I'm sure you've all seen far too many problems regarding running EMI under Windows XP. I can't seem to get it running. When I first installed it, there were discolored horizontal and vertical lines running across the screen. I could deal with that, no problem. The next day, it would just flicker back and forth between a black screen and a discolored desktop. It looked like my video card was trying to convert into the 16 bit color mode, but it wasn't working. I could have probably fixed that by changing to OpenGL mode. I uninstalled, not sure what else to do, and now I can't seem to even open EMI. I get an error message saying I'm missing WINSTA.dll. Apparently something went wrong with the install. I've tried reinstalling several times and I still get the same error message. Any ideas?

First of all, switching to opengl probably would have been best, I would have recommended that if you hadn't uninstalled it. Now, what you're telling me is that wne reinstalling it, it installs fine, but when trying to run it, it comes up with an error message saying that it doesn't have that file? Can I ask, did you uninstall it using the uninstall that came with the game, or by add/remove programs (or by simply deleting the files)?

Yeah, I probably should have switched to OpenGL before I reinstalled, but due to my frustration, it's too late for that. Well, let's see... I uninstalled using the add/remove programs function; I always hear how that seems to be the safest method. Is there significant difference between the add/remove method and the SMI uninstall one?

But I somehow doubt it was a problem with the installation, I think I messed something up when tweaking with a few DOS settings for MI2. It seems windows cannot find my startup dll's very well, for some reason. When I tried to open up another program, counter-strike, it wasn't able to find the proper windows dll to get it started. However, I just went into My computer, manually searched out another .exe file, opened it, and the program ran fine. It seems this worked for EMI as well, but it doesn't make any sense. I have to choose the black icon for the game to run, otherwise I'll just wait and wait until the .dll error pops up. I'm pretty confused.

Also, there's still pink horizontal and vertical lines spanning the screen. It's not very bothersome, but I was wondering if I could fix it at all. I switched from Direct3d to OpenGL--no effect. Perhaps chancing to 16bit instead of 32bit, and maybe changing to a tinier resolution? I'm not sure. Sorry for all the trouble, I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to tech issues like this one.

Archived