Home

Thoughts on the Mod Contest for LucasFiles.com

razorace

I'd consider entering but I can't accept the file submission agreement for lucasfiles.com. I've mentioned this before but it basically states that we have no right to our work, period. :(

In addition, I don't like the idea of having the "public" decide the winner. While this seems like a good idea on the surface, it's racked with problems.

Firstly, a lot of the JK2 community is very ill informed about their mods. If you asked 10 random people who originally created such features as the RBG saber colors or customizeable handles, they'd probably say BOFH/Spectrum instead of Dest/TCK. I'm concerned that people will vote by simply what they know/have played instead of trying each mod and making an informed decision on the quality of the mod instead of the "OMG!!! Th3r3 B J3tP@cz!!!" factor.

Secondly, it's pretty easy to cheat in an open-to-the-public online voting system.

Originally posted by razorace

I'd consider entering but I can't accept the file submission agreement for lucasfiles.com. I've mentioned this before but it basically states that we have no right to our work, period. :(

In addition, I don't like the idea of having the "public" decide the winner. While this seems like a good idea on the surface, it's racked with problems.

Firstly, a lot of the JK2 community is very ill informed about their mods. If you asked 10 random people who originally created such features as the RBG saber colors or customizeable handles, they'd probably say BOFH/Spectrum instead of Dest/TCK. I'm concerned that people will vote by simply what they know/have played instead of trying each mod and making an informed decision on the quality of the mod instead of the "OMG!!! Th3r3 B J3tP@cz!!!" factor.

Secondly, it's pretty easy to cheat in an open-to-the-public online voting system.

I agree. About both things. I couldn't get passed the Agreement either, and I think the staf fof JK.net should decide for the winner.

EDIT - Maybe choose some people to rate the mods, and the one that has the highest rating wins. Or something. :p

Archived