Home

Light Side Ending (spoilers)

MasterTypoDemon

Okay, you defeat Malak and you are good. Thus the Light side ending. During the cut scene where the Republic cruisers are "bombing" the Star Forge, it is easy to see why the Republic keeps getting attacked and overran and why one day they will fall. The Empire had two things going for them:

1) Rule by fear and intimidation. Have some mean looking combat vehicles and be ruthless. Conquer and/destroy a few worlds and other worlds will follow you. Same way everywhere in real life too. If you show weakness, then you are thought to be weak. The lame-ass excuse of a bombing run to destroy the Star Forge was stupid. (Granted, it wasnt really the Republic, but Bioware's doing.) A couple ships get in a circle around one part of it, then shoot the Forge, then it falls (regardless of no gravity in space), and blows up. Where's the fun in that? Couldn't they have included a thermal shaft? or a hole big enough for a fighter to fly in? Granted, the Republic wouldn't have condoned using the Star Forge for good purposes, like building the Republic Fleet or something, but at least make the explosion 'pretty'. I assume once Malak was killed, the Star Forge's self defenses went offline. Otherwise the Republic fleet wouldn't have gotten so close. So why not land a party of Engineers, learn the technology of the Star Forge, then blow it up from the inside?

2) When you cant rule by fear or intimidation, wipe them out. Rebel base on Alderaan? Blow up the planet. The only Jedi who can stop you on Taris? Orbital bombard the ground back to the stoneage. Jedi Council hassling you? Destroy the Jedi enclave. When there was a target of this magnitude threatening the Republic, don't you think they could spend some time and money helping you out? Maybe even sending a Jedi Master... or even a Jedi Knight? (I know it was all for gameplay sake though.)

-Flame away cause I've played through the game so many times, the "appeal" of the game is starting to wear away. I've played out pretty much every option there is. All I need to do now, is go at Malak with the Prototype and Mission's Vibroblades.

(And shouldn't there be more sith present at the re-coronation of the Dark Lord of the Sith? ... Me!)

Spoken like a Sith. Either that, or the immortal Dark Helmet ("And now you see why evil will always triumph - because good is dumb.")

But the Sith are horribly stupid in their own fashion. They can conquer a planet or bomb it to dust, but it's a useless pile of permacrete. they can't get information, resources, oir production out of it - and they certainly will have the fear of the survivors, but certainly not the loyalty. And as America found out in the Vietnam and (current) Iraq conflicts, it's easy to overwhelm a weaker country - it's damn hard to keep it.

Secondly, they devour their own. The tradition of advancement by murder thins the ranks of the competant officers. Rather than fighting the enemy, they fight and possibly destroy each other, depriving the fleet of valuable skills and loyal people.

Third - the alti-alien attitude. There's more of them than humans - a lot more. and some of them you do not want to cross (Wookiees, anyone?)

I think if it had been Malak taken out, and Revan left standing, the Republic would be hosed. Revan was very bright, and possibly worked to minimize the gaping weaknesses of the Sith for better armies, not to mention possessing a legendary charisma that had thousands flocking to the banner.

Malak is brutal, graceless, and stupid by comparison - the flaws of the Sith and precious few of the advantages.

Yes, point well taken. However:

1) No country will openly declare war on America. Why? Because of our military might and our allies (how few there are remaining). Just like the Empire. No open will openly declare war on the Empire. You have your terroistic factions (rebellion) and those who oppose the Empire, but no one will stand up and say "Stop now!"

2) As far as wiping out a world and gaining nothing. There is something to be said for that. Have you seen a Bond movie? The bad guy gives away his plan then leaves Bond in an easily escapable over-elaborate contraption to kill him, then leaves. Bond gets away and ends up killing the bad guy. HOWEVER, the Sith (and Empire) wipe out the enemies before they get that chance. Thus they have less enemies. What if Vader had not taken the time to sense the Force in luke during the trench run in EpIV and just shot him down. There would be one less person in the universe and Vader wouldn't have had the chance to try to recruit luke to the darkside, but then luke wouldn't have killed vader and palpatine in the end.

3) Anit-alien is what I think you meant. There are a considerable higher percentage of humans in the Star Wars universe. That's what I think the point is to listening to the sandpeople's story. You find out that human were the original inhabitants of the galaxy and they "discovered" hyperspace travel which allowed them to colonize several thousands worlds just like that one weed spreads its seeds all over my front yard. This type of discrimination would be akin to America's "No gays in the military" Policy. Whereas there are alot of gays out there, there is considerably more non-gays. And wookies were enslaved, at least twice (Czerka Corp and the Empire).

4) I think you are right on the Malak/Revan issue. If Revan was left and Malak was taken out by the Jedi, the Sith would have been considerably stronger. I guess that's why the Jedi decided Revan would have to be taken instead of Malak.

5) Advancement in the Sith military. The military wasnt the problem, the dark jedi were the problem. It'd be like giving a 10yo the keys to your SUV. You cant give someone that much power without teaching them how to effectivly use it. Take Bandon for example. His tosses a guy across the room and kills three guys and destroys a computer terminal for what? Walking across his path. I was glad to kill him. If you aren't helping the Sith, you are hurting them. And he was. Malak was the same. His tactics were causing the Sith to lose. I had to step back in and regain control of the Sith fleet.

Archived