Home

Bots in Siege (sorry if this is old news to some people)

Kurgan

I finally was able to try out Siege (still haven't found a game that isn't full or lagged out on the 'net), by spawning in bots.

Now if I spawn in too many bots the game crashes. On the fifth bot spawn, the game locks up and I'm forced to reboot windows.

Before the game crashed whenever I spawned in a bot, but I realized I just had to make sure the bots I spawned were of skins used by the classes (varies with map, but say Snowtroopers and Rebels on Hoth work fine).

The bots "jump around" (which isn't so bad if they're not Jedi, because it makes them hard to hit and allows them to move faster around the map) and just look for somebody to kill, much like the user made maps in the early JK2 days before we knew how to do bot routes.

So I'm guessing that Raven didn't have time to put in the bot routes. The objectives don't seem THAT complex that the bots couldn't be programmed to do them... mostly just blowing up certain objects and throwing switches.

Anyway, maybe there is a more technical reason, but at least to me, it doesn't seem too farfetched that we could be playing Siege with bots someday that were decent.

I think Siege looks great, but this last finishing touch could really help out, allowing people to start more servers without having to wait for a big group, and also make learning it easier.

I'm not worried about someone finding a way to program bots to use vehicles for multiplayer. I mean just look at the swoop chase level on that boring planet. You jump off the bike and force push them off and they would get back on and chase you. That means they can be programmed to operate and even remove you from vehicles. One time I spawned Kyle and tried run him over and he forced pushed me off the bike. Another thing I noticed is if you spawn an AT-ST in Hoth and get out it could get stolen.

Archived