Home

Crash/Lockup/Sound Loop

MOTL Robinton

Please, if anyone who has had a problem with the game crashing, then locking up your system with a sound loop has sovled this problem please post here. I have posted numerously in the stuck thread on bugs but no one haa responded. I need no flames from anyone about starting a new thread on this topic, i just wanted an answer to my question if anyone has one. Thank you.

What are your system specs?

And thusly, make sure your card isn't overheating (second-leading cause of game crashes, and your symtoms match this perfectly). To find out, do a little experiment.

Open the case. Take a desk fan and rest it near the video card (moves the heat away from the card so it doesn't overheat).

Play the game in this configuration. If it doesn't crash, then it's the heat that's screwing you over. Reevaluate the way you cool your system.

I have internal fans not counting the one on my processor so I don't think cooling is the problem

That's what everybody says -- no one's willing to admit to this problem for some reason... That's what I said when my games were locking up. Fans up the wazoo, cool processor and motherboard temps, a pci slot fan right under my video card, aluminum casing.

And yet, my card was STILL overheating, causing the crashes. The ONLY way you can eliminate heat as a factor is by doing exactly what I told you to go do (unless you're willing to invest in the time and equipment for temperature sensors).

You'll have nothing to lose, and everything to gain if heat's your problem.

PS

You can have a zillion fans, but if they don't adiquately move the air over your card to move the heat, then they're useless. Fans are supposed to cause a plenum effect, moving air THROUGH the computer which moves the heat (usually) to the back of the PC -- and that's exactly where the video card is. If your computer is propped up against or near a solid surface (like a desk or wall), then chances are, the heat isn't escaping the back fast enough for the video card's comfort. Most of my fans are in the back, but this is exactly why my card was overheating. No ventilation to the back of my computer. The heat has nowhere to go, so it just sits at the back and overheats the rear components.

When the video card starts processing heavy graphics, bada bing. The processor gets too hot; and it fails to prevent damage.

Oh, and if your computer's on carpet, put it on a plank of wood or something imediately.

I understand what your saying and i will give it a shot. But i have a 4 80x80x30 mm fans. One on top blowing out. One on the side blowing in. One in the back blowing out. And one in the front of the case blowing in to keep a striaght circulation.

I undertand you may have had problems with overheating, but JA is the only game that crashes. Now, tell me, if you know that JA is somehow massivley more graphic intensive than say, Elite Force 2 (also by raven) which i'm pretty sure actually pushes hard on your graphics engine and card, than why isn't that crashing if its a heat problem

Oh and i have turned EAX off. I know its been listed as a problem. Infact, i have disable my sound divice and STILL nothing. I have updated everything and uninstalled and re-installed the game. Everything minus wes's fanning idea and reformatting (which i'm sure will solve it but it takes forever).

So again, if anyone has found a solution other than these two things, i will be VERY happy to hear it.

Archived