Home

Black text in your JA name without mods...

Kurgan

Okay, I'm asking this here now and I don't want to hear the same tired old 'only n00bs want to do that/if people know how to do it only n00bs will use it' excuses.

It IS possible to have black text in your name (either some letters or the whole thing) in JA MP, so that others can see it in the in-game chat and in the score table.

The question is, HOW do you do it? I've tried using ^8 or ^0, but while the text will appear black in my admin status window and in my profile, in the score table and chat it appears red or white.

Or is the black text a feature that others can see (on their end) but I can't (on my end)?

Also to the folks who are so "above" using a feature like this, why is it such a closely guarded secret?? C'mon, spill the beans! The other six colors are no big secret...

Here is my proof (and I have only to look on ASE and I can see dozens of players with black text in their names on UNmodded JA servers):

shot0661.thumb.jpg.dceaed7de1c60589d808567c310d6ead.jpg

^^0name = black

but what i would like to know is how to do the new icons for names in jk3. in jk2 there was the box [] and the filled box and tilde etc that were harder to get. now i see all sorts of stuff. like double dotted I's etc. how can i do those?

Ah, so there's a SECOND ^ and that's how it's done.. alright will try that, thanks!

As to the rest, I figure those are just extended ascii key codes. You can find lists of those on the 'net if you just search for ascii chart or whatnot.

There's an old windows program called Charmap (not sure if its still included with most copies of windows these days) that lists all the characters and the codes to do them (usually hold ALT ###, release).

Update: your method works perfectly, however it still leaves a ^ (carrot) in front of the name. Glancing through ASE I see that all but 2 or 3 of the people using black in their names have a ^ (of various colors) first. However I those 2 or 3 has totally black names with no ^'s anywhere in them. Wonder how they pulled that off? As far as I could tell they weren't running any mods on those servers...

I used to have the old black name in jedi outcast all the time.

The only thingy with using the ^^ is that it made my name purple everywhere else but speaking..

It was fun for jokes tho when people we're all

'dude you just got killed by a guy with a purple name..'

But to make a long story short, anyone who's played q3a knows the black name glitch.

I'll shut up now.

Archived