Home

wonder what saber is best?

Shakey Mac

well i cant answer that for ya, but i CAN give you my observations and the results of a few tests ive done on each saber style.

quick disclaimer: these are my opinions and my observations. i dont think i can state the enough. if you disagree, tell me as politely as you can and state why.

single saber - most versatile in my opinion. you can opt for pure power/slow speed/low defense with red stance, a balance of the two with decent speed and range with yellow and superb defense/short range/quick attacks with blue.

i tested this out in both multiplayer (with bots mainly, but a few MP games in FFA) and single player as well. as im sure most of you have already noticed, the recovery time for blocking something in red stance is much higher than in JO. comparatively, medium stance (yellow) provided a recovery time of about 1/2 - 1/4 of a second, depending on saber defense level. fast style (blue) gave a recovery time so quick i couldnt calculate it with the watch i was using. i would guess it at around 1/10 of a second with maximum defense, possibly less. ive managed to block the dual-saber twirl with a single saber in blue stance with level 3 defense. i wouldnt recommend you try to block any twirl at all, seeing as your saber can be knocked away if your opponent has a higher offense level, but, in a pinch, its nice to have.

the katas and special moves are all very good for the single saber, and force pull impale is an awesome thing to have on servers where force powers are allowed.

dual sabers - not my favorite in single player, but deadly in MP when spammed, and even deadlier when you know what your doing (i hate spammers). most people, upon first trying dual sabers, will just use twirl or the flip forward attack while occasionally mixing it up with some random spam-style attack patterns. those people are usually pretty easy to beat if you just keep your distance and let em screw up (ok, my mini rant is over now).

onto the good stuff....dual sabers have a decent defense rating coupled with a slightly above average attack damage (at least in experience). if you can land both sabers on a guy, hes usually dead, at least if its a clean hit. one bonus of it is that with a high attack rating, your leading saber can often knock aside the saber of your opponent. this is more or less the basis of spammers, constantly twirling around until they break thru your defenses enough to land a few quick hits. other techniques include timing your swings to take advantage of your opponents open areas while switching to the occasional spin-swing to keep them off balance. use of the saber barrier isnt recommended in a one on one duel, but it could find use in a power duel situation, or in siege/CTF/team FFA where a person is surrounded or needs to defend a corridor or objective. flip-forward attack is a great way to get close to someone and do a little damage, and the twirl can make mincemeat out of someone whos not expecting it. dont miss with the twirl tho, or youre screwed. can switch off one saber to allow use of a pseudo-fast style.

saberstaff - my favorite, because it allows you to switch one end off and use the pseudo-medium style (yellow stance is my favorite). im also a fan of the butterfly attack, and ive found that charing with an overhead attack followed up by a downward diagonal move can result in quite a bit of damage and often death (in SP). the trick is to aim for the head as best you can. the move isnt quite as viable in MP as it is in SP, due to players moving about more than the computer does, but it can still catch people by surprise every now and then. good attack power and good defensive power which are balanced out by a less-than-average range and mid-level attack speed.

at first glance, the staff may seem to be very similar to dual saber in attack technique (just hold attack down and press differing directions) but ive found that using a sort of "controlled chaos" approach works best. hold the attack button down for a constant stream of attacks, but think about what move you want to do next and compare that to what your opponent is doing. dont be afraid to back off every now and then, and even toss a kick in to piss people off. jump at them and kick them as you land. laugh as they go flying (they WILL fly if you hit em right). then rush at them like a mad-man but dont attack like one. random spinning wont be nearly as effective as it will with dual sabers, but if timed right, your attacks can also hit when you face away from your opponent. the trick is to make it look like your a randomly spinning fool while at the same time keeping a close watch on what your opponent does and counter him in his open areas. youd be surprised how many people forget that a saberstaff can be sheathed halfway and then thrown like a regular saber. try that sometime to scare people into doing stupid stuff (like flipping backwards into the generator shaft).

summary

single saber - most versatile, stance with best raw attack power, stance with best raw defense power. good supporting moves, strong katas, but most vulnerable to deflection, parry and losing saber. hardest to master (in my opinion). good in groups or against single opponents.

dual saber - above average attack power, decent range, decent defense, power only reduced by about 50% if thrown saber is lost, great supporting moves (although somewhat situational), potential for great damage output, easily learned but hard to master. has pseudo-fast style. depressingly easy to spam :(. better against single opponents with normal attacks, supporting moves great for groups.

saberstaff - my personal favorite. good defense and attack power, slightly below-average range, option to kick or throw saber, pseudo medium style, my favorite supporting moves, possibly the most powerful kata, somewhat easy to spam. potential for attack damage is reasonably high, but it truly reaches its potential with larger numbers of opponents. good in a duel, best when used against 2-4 opponents for maximum damage output. easy to learn/master against small numbers of opponents, hardest against 3 or greater opponents.

Archived