Home

Question about the All Seeing Eye

tsaball

I downloaded the ASE and it works great. I recommend it to everyone.:D

My question is:

Can I create a server in the JA - MP - Create Game, and it appear in the ASE?

AND

Can I play in that server from my computer that I created it on?

If there is a way to bypass this problem, please post it. Thanks.

Unless you run a DEDICATED server, then when you exit the game (but the dedicated server console or dos box is still running) ASE will still show the game. And you can close ASE then fire it up again later and it will still show your game.

You can even access a console from inside ASE with F8 or right click and remote control (rcon) option.

Pretty nifty. ; )

You can join your own dedicated server and play on the same computer of course, but its not always recommended (it negates any benefit you derive from making it a dedicated server), though considering the server bugs and port bugs in JA, its understandable if you do it that way.

Originally posted by V@DER

So, can I join the server that I created using the ASE using the same computer that the server was created on?

In theory you can but it's not recommended. Running a client (playing the game) on the same box sucks a lot of computer power (mostly CPU cycles) away from the server, potentially causing it to lag. It is better to do only one or the other if you have only one computer. Fortunately, running a dedicated server takes a lot less computer power, so if you have an older computer available it could run the server, and your good computer runs the client. Just use a router so they share your Internet connection. Your server will show up in your client's server browser under "Local".

If you want to be really cool, get a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch so you can control both computers with one keyboard, mouse, and monitor. On one side of my desk I have a computer running a small server, and on the other side I have my main computer that I play on. I use the KVM switch to control both. Both share my cable modem through a Netgear wireless switch\router.

Archived