Home

Freedom Fighters!

Link Antilles

My review:

Freedom Fighters for the PC

Ok, for those who don't know what Freedom Fighters is about... the story of this game is basically a "what if?" scenario. What if, the Soviet Union never died out? What if, they were the first to develop the A-bomb? What if, they invaded the U.S.? This is were the game takes place, in a Soviet invaded New York, where you must gather a resistance force to fight off the soviets and send them crying back to "Mother Russia". So, basically this is Red Alert 2 in a 3rd Person Squad-based form. In fact, even the people who did the voice acting for RA2 are in this game. The story throughout the game is mainly told though the humorous Soviet-Propaganda-filled-news-broadcasts, which treat your resistance actions as terrorist actions.

Now, there's one thing I must warn, this game is short and there is no multi-player mode for the PC version, which is not missed. The GC, X-box, and PS2 versions have multi-player, which goes from squad vs. squad to king of the hill. I don’t think there is a co-op mode. This game does have a fair amount of replay value though, with its mission select at the end of the game and four levels of difficultly.

There were a few things I found interesting about the game's mission system. Each, mission take place at a different time of the Soviet occupation, which contains an average of three sub-missions you must complete. Now, depending on which sub-mission you complete first, will affect the soviet forces in the next ones. Each mission is completed by raising the U.S. flag over the soviet bases, and completing other objective like, destroying a Helipad, rescuing POWs, and so on. By completing secondary objectives such as, attending wounded civilians, rescuing POWs, and such, the game will award you with charisma points. Depending on how many points you have will decide how many people can join your squad.

Not only do the seasons change during the course of the game, but also so does your character, that goes from an average civilian to a battle-hardened veteran. Not to mention you and your squad of "Freedom Fighters" look just cool. Your Squad is one of the strong points of the game. There are enough Squad commands to keep you busy and not annoyed. Their AI is fairly smart and actually helps you out during the harder difficulties. Sometimes, it's just fun to watch your squad duke it out and give them fire support with the good 'ol sniper rifle. The weapons aren't to complex, just the basics: a Pistol, Revolver, Shotgun, AK-47, Heavy machine gun, Sniper rifle, RPG launcher, grenades, and few other surprises are in the game’s arsenal. The game-play is smooth, fast paced, and the controls are nice. The sound on the PC version has a few bugs, but nothing annoying. The music is great, well done, and add a dramatic feel to the game. Finally, the environment, which is all-urban, is varied and no-very repetitive looking.

I recommend this game to anyone who is looking for a fun action title.

I give it a 9.4 out of 10

What do you guys think about the game?

Archived