Home

(JK2)Editing Existing NPC Models

~Gh0st~

I've found in Outcast, that the playermodel doesn't seem to respond to .surf files, which are required to toggle special surfaces on a model, like the vest, belt, etc.

So I don't believe it can be done, but to be honest I haven't messed with Outcast in awhile, so someone may have found a workaround for it.

(I was trying to get the JediF model - Jan model with the vest/etc. things toggled off - to be the player model, but it would always be Jan.)

:(

you are quite right, JO will not read .SURF files in SP. but there is a way around it :D what you do, is you take the normal model_default.SKIN and open it using notepad. then whatever you want to remove, you replace the jpg's directory with clear or nodraw. so instead of this:

torso_vest,models/players/rodian/boots_belt_vest.tga

you have this:

torso_vest,nodraw

or

torso_vest,clear

then save the file by going to save as, changing the file type to all files *.* and save as model_default.skin or just press save.

you can do this with all parts of models in SP, so u can have models running around with no heads, but i dont really see the point in that :p

Only problem with that workaround, is some models require surfaces under the outer surfaces to be turned on. Like with Jan, her torso (white shirt) isn't rendered under the vest... so if you "clear" the vest torso, you see right through the model.

I think the rodian model isn't like this, so for this situation it should work for you.

Archived