Home

Client-side only version of Basic

Marker0077

There's some cool stuff in Basic that are client-side only. With Basic being a client & server-side mod, it needs to be in a custom folder. Stuff like the CPC RGB slider & whatnot do not need to be in a custom folder, so I think that the client-side only stuff in Basic should go in a seperate client-side only version.

This would be a nice way to have some OJP features on non-OJP servers.

Most of the mods in Cool Mods are client side only. This will all be via an installer so if people choose that the computer that they are installing it on is a server only computer, it will install all mods to the servers "base" directory specifically for these "pure" servers. It would be no different with this.

I'm doing a linux version as well except that will be just a zip & not the installer.

Now if you don't want to do that, I'll see what I can do about doing it myself.

Like I stated before, it doesn't work right unless you're on unpure servers. The pure server stuff extends to menu files.

It might be possible to set it up so that players only have to d/l the clientside to run on Basic/Enhanced servers but I don't see it happening because the difference between the server side stuff and the client side is only one file. It's probably not worth the effort.

Originally posted by razorace

Like I stated before, it doesn't work right unless you're on unpure servers. The pure server stuff extends to menu files.

If this mod was in the pure servers "base" folder, it would work fine. This is where I was going with having the installer doing a "server only" type of installation with CM.
Originally posted by razorace

It might be possible to set it up so that players only have to d/l the clientside to run on Basic/Enhanced servers but I don't see it happening because the difference between the server side stuff and the client side is only one file. It's probably not worth the effort.

Well, the existing Basic should be in a custom folder, as well as the Enhanced, & those files would be downloadable if the server & client both have downloads enabled but that's not what I'm talking about doing. I'm thinking about having a these pure servers have this mod in their "base" folder without it downloading to the client even if the server & client are both set to on (like most weapon mods work). This way, if the client does have the mod then they can use it but nothing is forced on anyone. I realize that you can enable/disable downloading but it's a hassle to deal with. Client side stuff like the CPC RGB slider is cool & since I haven't throughly checked out Basic yet, I can't really list any others.

The point is I'm sure there are a variety of client only stuff that people can use. I realize that this would not be supported via pure servers, however, if the pure server supports Cool Mods, then it will support this as well (if it is added).

Anyways, I'll deal with it & then I'll have you look it over if you have time.

Archived