Home

Is anyone using a MS Force Feedback 2 stick with RS?

Guest stevo

Guest stevo

Has anyone been able to get the MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick working with Rogue Squadron without intermittent crashes? The game suffers from frequent and random crashes when I use my MS Force Feedback 2, but works rock solid when I uninstall the FF2 and plug in my old Logitech Wingman Extreme. I'm currently using DirectX 8.0a, so I'm going to uninstall it and revert back to 7.0a to see if that helps.

Relevant hardware/software:

Rogue Squadron, version 1.3 (from the ReadMe file)

MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 (just purchased last week)

Celeron II 566 overclocked to 850

Abit BH6, rev 1.0 flashed to QN bios

128MB Micron SDRAM -8E, 100MHz FSB

Voodoo 5 5500 AGP using 3Dfx 1.04 WHQL drivers

Guest Gold Squadron Leader

Not much I can tell you I afraid. I don't use a force feedback joystick. Here are a couple of snipets from the LucasArts Support site:

ROGUE SQUADRON 3D

Technical Reference Guide - Details

Multiple Joysticks

If you have more than one joystick installed on your system, such as USB devices, you will have to select your preferred controller before starting the game. To do this:

Open the game's launcher.

Select Hardware Configuration.

Select Joystick Options.

Select your preferred controller from the list and choose Accept, then Done.

Force Feedback Support

Rogue Squadron has support for Force Feedback joysticks through Microsoft's Direct Input. If a Force Feedback joystick is detected, the appropriate box in the Joystick Settings screen will be automatically checked (Enable Force Feedback). All of these joysticks vary in their functionality and may work differently in the game, or you may have a newer Force Feedback joystick that is not supported. Some forces may be stronger than others, depending on the type of Force Feedback stick you are using. To enable the Passcodes below, they must be entered in the 'General Settings' screen.

PassCodes Enables

LEIAWRKOUT Activates forces for acceleration and deceleration.

GUNDARKA Activates forces for varying the stick resistance depending on your velocity.

If the LEIAWRKOUT cheat is enabled, there is a command-line switch that can be used to desensitize the craft to joystick-movement caused by force feedback effects (-i).

**My comments** - Since DirectX is involved, I would definitely recommend using version 7.0a. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe run DirectX Diag for the new joystick? Good luck.

------------------

Ties are flies, swat'em!

Guest stevo

Thanks for the reply. When I've reverted back to DirectX 7.0a and tested RS with it, I'll post the results.

Question: I've never attempted to go back to a prior version of DirectX. Can I simply install 7.0a on top of 8.0a, or do I need to uninstall 8.0a using the DirectX Uninstaller program I found at www.tweakfiles.com?

Guest Gold Squadron Leader

I have never gone back to a lower DirectX, always at 7.0a. But I have read it is more involved than a simple re-install. So yes, I would check into a DirectX uninstaller.

------------------

Ties are flies, swat'em!

Guest stevo

Thanks for the advice. I removed DirectX 8.0a using the DirectX Uninstaller, and reinstalled DirectX 7.0a. Then I installed the MS Force Feedback 2 and tested Rogue Squadron. Perfection! The game is now rock solid and works perfectly with the new stick.

Unfortunately, my old Logitech Wingman Extreme no longer works since I reverted back to 7.0a. The Game Controllers applet describes the Wingman Extreme as "not connected", when it definitely is connected. I double-checked the Creative Gameport Joystick device in the Device Manager, and there are no conflicts, so I don't know what the problem is. Oh well, no matter. I don't intend to use it anyway now that I have the Force Feedback 2 working correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Archived