Home

help! i can´t play RS for more than 10 min!

Guest last starfighter

Guest last starfighter

hi... i´ve a toshiba laptop, celeron 650 MHZ, 64M ram... directx 8... windows ME... i start RS and everything´s allright, till I´m playing... suddenly, like 5 or 6 min in the game, the pc begins to read something on the hardisk and soon it´s so slow that it becomes impossible...

sometimes i manage to play the mission within the first 10 min, but then, when i´m finished, the game just exits with no apparent cause.

i´ve disabled antiviruses, screensavers, and all memory residents i could fetch. i´ve installed directx 6... i´m wondering if this has to do with windows ME, or what..?

chan you help me?

I am shocked that your game started up at all. It still sounds like something is running. If you alt-ctrl-del and close each and everything that is running except for explorer and systray before you start a game, it might prove that some other job is running, such as restore. I have a 800 Pentium III and Windows ME. I have Norton Anti-Virus 2001 and ME's Restore running in the background all the time with no problems. Also, go to device manager and make sure your video card and sound cards are not sharing resources. Video card especially. Windows ME comes with a version of Direct X 7 something. I will not load DX8 as there has been too many problems. How did you go back to 6.0? 7.0A is better for Rogue Squadron in my opinion. I assume that you found a DX uninstaller on the internet. Laptops are not known for having good gaming video chips until the recently released Nvidia mobile chip and the video memory is limited. Are you using D3D and not Glide? If the game is locking up while the hard drive is thrashing, another possibility is that the drive is full, maybe need defragging, swap file too small, or/and maybe the TEMP file in the Windows directory is full of junk and need cleaning. Ain't these computers fun?

Guest Rogue9

Windows ME has had some prolems with older games, RS does fall into that catagory.

if you can try upgrading to Windows 98 SE, I've noticed it wotking much better here.

Also make sure you disable all powersave and screen saver options when you start RS

Guest Rogue9

as a side note, there maybe a recall out on your laptop for overheating, which would cause RS to crash. check with toshiba, if it is on the list you'll get one of there new water cooling systems. I'm serious about this.

Archived