Home

Star Trek Q: Why Starships?

Guest Shootist

Guest Shootist

Hey, if the good folks in Star Trek can transport from spot to spot around the universe why bother with Starships? Seems too simple, gotta be a reason. Help.

------------------

ACK...Phht!!

Bill the Cat

[This message has been edited by Shootist (edited February 23, 2000).]

There wouldn't be much of a TV show if all we saw is a bunch of people in spandex teleport themselves around...

------------------

Moff Kint

Kint@beer.com

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Guest Shootist

Exactly. There isn't much of a market for watching Spockarian-lookin' dudes standin' at a blackboard exercising logic. Need proof? See how much interest this thread has generated? hehehe

------------------

ACK...Phht!!

Bill the Cat

Guest Shootist

L., those are exactly the fish I was out to catch, but I guess our little Rogue pond has been deserted for deeper waters. Unfortunate, eh? If Imladil et al. won't respond to Q's like THIS then there's I feel, a great disturbance in The Force.

------------------

ACK...Phht!!

Bill the Cat

Guest Qui-Wan Kenn

well shootist here is the answer to your quetion yes they can tranport people but only around 100,000,000 miles away (from what i think) and the universe is much much bigger than that.

------------------

Another post by:

Qui-Wan Kenn

(EVLKNT@aol.com)

Guest Shootist

How right you are. Even though the universe IS much, much larger than we can even write in our numbers, we Could use a relay system to transport from one known spot to another and still be faster and more efficient than lugging hominids around.

I do think that to establish new "known" places we would have to resort to the old way of actually havin' to go out there in the flesh (or whatever)and establish bases, treaties, and learn who our enemies are. Hence the neat starships.

Gee, nothin' like answerin' yer own question eh?

------------------

ACK...Phht!!

Bill the Cat

Archived