Home

Episode 1&2 Faults.

Atti-Muni

Originally posted by Kryllith

It's also a matter of skills. Quigon might be a Jedi Master, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was a better lightsaber fighter than Obiwan, just that his overall training was more developed.

As for the midichlorians, they don't bother me, because they explains why force sensitivity runs in families. I don't think it destroys the mysticism of the Force, so much as it explains why some people can become Jedi/Sith while others can't. Is it necessary to the story? No. But it doesn't mess it up, IMHO.

Kryllith

1) Not to mention Qui-Gon was in his 60's

2) Same boat. I'm more surprised people didn't expect a more definitive explanation for the force than "a mystical energy field".

As for the midichlorians, they don't bother me, because they explains why force sensitivity runs in families. I don't think it destroys the mysticism of the Force, so much as it explains why some people can become Jedi/Sith while others can't. Is it necessary to the story? No. But it doesn't mess it up, IMHO.

I don't think it needed an explanation. I just accepted that it was part of the star wars universe. A biological explanation for it, and that particular explanation, makes the force seem like a completely ordinary thing, like why some people have blue eyes and some have brown.

Jedi knights are what they because of a genetic fluke completely devalues the premise of the force.

Also, don't get me started on Anakin's "immaculate conception". That was plainly taking the piss:mad:

Not necessarily ordinary, but it does allow for trends. Afterall, if everyone had an equal chance for Force sensitivity then why would Obi-wan even bother hiding Vader's children? We know from the OT that there's a genetic reason for force sensitivity. Midichlorians just explored that reason a bit.

As for the presence of Midichlorian making the knight, well I think there's something to be said for dedication, study, and belief in the self. Sure the potential has to be there, but the individual has to live up to the potential...

Kryllith

Not necessarily ordinary, but it does allow for trends. Afterall, if everyone had an equal chance for Force sensitivity then why would Obi-wan even bother hiding Vader's children? We know from the OT that there's a genetic reason for force sensitivity. Midichlorians just explored that reason a bit.

All i'm saying is that it didn't need to be explored. I was personally quite content not knowing how someone would be force sensitive. Obviously different people have different sensitivity but GL shouldn't have made it as mundane as a simple count.

As i've mentioned in a previous post, what would stop people tampering with their midichlorian count to gain uber-jedi powers?

Obviously training goes a long way to making a Jedi who he is, but if these "midichlorians" are entities that reside with you, what's to stop naughty jedi topping their levels up - Force Steroids as you were.

It's these annoying little things that bother me - I personally think that Ep1 and Ep2 are great - it's just little details that GL has included that didn't need to be there that get me going.

Archived