Home

Website is now working! FINALLY!

wow. We have a website. :) Looks pretty good. I like the tooltips thingy for the distros.

So, how do we post new news, documents, or screenshots?

Plus, are you aware that all the documents give 404 errors?

Finally, THANK YOU! We've had so many problems getting a webmaster and the fact that you've stuck with it is great. :)

PM me your account name and a temp password and I'll get you an account set up for fusionnews. As for posting new files, documents, screenshots, I'm going to have to manually edit them for right now. I'll find a script for them soon (gotta love hotscripts.com). Also, the tooltip thingy unfortunately works only in IE (that I've tested), so I'll have to rewrite it in javascript for it to work in Netscape as well. Never fear, however, for I have a book on the very subject. And google. :)

I fixed the docs, they should be there now. Are they the newest ones? The last ones I got were from the .001 Enhanced.

EDIT: You know that you can upload images with the 'Post news' option in the CP? Link to your image like this:

[ img]http://ojp.jediknight.net/FusionNews/uploads/yourimg.jpg[/ img]

Fine, I'll have a look. Don't expect me to be too pleased about having to wade through big threads though. :D

EDIT: Posted the most recent Basic and Enhanced betas on the site. Get them at the distributions section.

Just a note: If you mess with the admin features, don't EVER touch the Dir/URL settings. I put a big sign on it so no one does. You can have a look at it if you want. :D Just don't edit the values.

THIS MEANS YOU!

One suggestion for the site:

On that page where you can move your mouse over the title of each downloadable file and it displays a "description" text below...

That needs to be modified somehow, because unless you have a super high resolution (I have 1024x768 and it's still not enough) you can't see all the text, and you CAN'T scroll those bars to see the rest of it, because the instant you move your mouse away from the title, the text disappears.

You should either fit it all on one page with standard resolution or make the text "freeze" there after you move the mouse pointer over the text and only change it when you move the mouse over to another title, rather than having it disappear.

I know they can read it by clicking on the link or looking at the text file inside, but why bother displaying the text if they can only read a small part of it?

Otherwise nice job. I gave you a news plug, but I can't add a link to the "hosted sites" link. You'll have to ask ChrisC3PO or Mattwindu to do that for you and who knows how long it will take...

Done; the descriptions now stick when the mouse leaves them. To really fix it I should probably go and assign a standard font size to the entire site. I guess that's next on the list, after getting the screenshot posting script up (yes, it is being worked on!)...

Thanks for the feedback, Kurgan. :)

EDIT: I fixed a few things, including the white edges around the smilies, and the full news template. It wasn't the same color scheme as the rest of the site. I also posted your new screenshots in the screenshots section.

Hey guys, I just found a really nice host for the website (unlimited space, bandwidth, POP3 emails, PHP & MySQL), except that it requires 1 top and 1 side banner ad. Do you think we should go for it? All I can find that's not so good about it is the ads. I'll have to modify the layout of the site a bit, but nothing major.

Info page.

So, yes or no?

I've e-mailed them and they say they need to evaluate the site before they are sure it can be hosted. It seems promising though, because I asked if modding sites are allowed and they said yes...I guess we'll just wait and see.

I don't know if it comes with it's own domain name or what. I asked in my e-mail, but they didn't mention anything in the reply. I suppose I'll have to ask them again.

Anyways, it looks like a good deal to me. :)

It sounds like you can transfer a domain to them, but I doubt they do the registerring themselves.

My domain only costs me a few bucks a year, no ads, but it does have a limited transfer rate. Every host has limits, really - I'm sure they'd complain about the amount of bandwidth you were using if you were using too much, that's the way it goes with 'unlimited bandwidth' hosting, generally.

Still it might be worth it, even if the money made from banners does not go to the site.

The two banners are required for the hosting. They get free advertising, you get free hosting (no money involved, unless you sign up for their affiliates program).

I think that if they host it as a subdomain or just a folder on their site, we may be able to get jediknight.net to forward requests to that address. So people typing in the ojp.jediknight.net address would go to the hosted one. Anyway, I still haven't got an e-mail back from them, so we'll see how it turns out.

Oh yeah, I'd like to send another shout out to SD for him being on the ball about posting new screenshots.

As for website suggestions, I noticed that a lot of the pages (like distros and screenshots) don't have the sidebar. It would be great if the sidebar appeared on all the pages. It's not a biggie, so feel free to mess with it if/when you feel like it. :)

About the sidebar...I tested it with IE and Netscape, and they were working fine, showing up on all the pages...do you just have your settings to make it open in a new window every time?

I think I'm going to just remove all the frames though, they're too much of a hassle for different browsers. :)

I've fixed the 'whip WIP' mistake on the site. Very sorry about that. My bad. :o

They should be able to. I haven't changed the settings on IE on my comp at all, so anyone that just looks on there *should* be able to see it just fine. Anyways, I'm going to try to get rid of the frames toatally, so it shouldn't be a problem for long.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived