Home

Basic Brainstorming: Bot Saber Combat

Hi guys, I'm making good progress on the TAB Bot code but I haven't implimented much on what the bots should do for saber combat.

Namely, in what situations should they use katas, switch stances, or use certain types of moves?

For the saber stance, I'm thinking that we should add a new bot file varible for preferred stance.

Preferred stance definately. One thing I know I do, which might be something you could program into the bot, is when the opponents health is low (I know this from how many times I've hit him and what noise he makes when I do) I will switch to the light stance if i have high health, and just try to end it as quickly as possible, knowing that one of the flurry of blue strikes will kill him.

As far as the acrobatic moves, it would be neat to see the bots use them, but definately with a "few and far between" mentality. It's no fun fighting bots that are going to jump, jump, jump. Same goes with kata's. Maybe using the kata's when an opponent is left wide open.

A little method to there madness would go a long way towards improving there performances.

Originally posted by JaledDur

Preferred stance definately. One thing I know I do, which might be something you could program into the bot, is when the opponents health is low (I know this from how many times I've hit him and what noise he makes when I do) I will switch to the light stance if i have high health, and just try to end it as quickly as possible, knowing that one of the flurry of blue strikes will kill him.

Well, the problem with that is that it requires the bots to know something that normal players wouldn't know. I'm trying my best to make the TAB Bot not cheat.

I haven't had a chance to check out the new Beta yet, but I will shortly, so this may already be answered/corrected.

The stock JA bots don't seem to stick around and fight when it comes to saber combat. Most of the time. They make a few attacks as they run by, but follow their bot routes more than they fight. (Same goes for guns as well, but it stands out more when they have melee weapons.)

It might not be a good idea to have them always stay and fight, because that's not always the best strategy. Possibly seeking out the leaders of the match would be a good strategy (depending on the gametype), but it wouldn't be fun if the bots could just pinpoint the leader's location through the code, since that would be doing something humans can't. If they actually have to look that would be better.

It's just odd to have to spend your time trying to catch up to the bot because he's running away and ignoring you.

Originally posted by razorace

Well, the problem with that is that it requires the bots to know something that normal players wouldn't know. I'm trying my best to make the TAB Bot not cheat.

I can tell. I'm not cheating.

Just write a function that uses a rand num gen and takes into account bot skill to determine wheter the move should be done or not.

Archived