Home

How to make an alpha channel transparent in-game...

Shimaon

provided you have the alpha channel set up correctly ... the tranparency should work as long as you DON'T have CM_baremetal or any other enviroment effects (don't know if there are any ??) enabled for the texture - check appearence.2da -> 'envmap' field if you are dealing with any of the appearence types in there- set this to DEFAULT - If the texture doesn't apply to an appearence in 'appearence.2da' then check the .txi file associated with it for the same ..

if you are dealing with lightsabers - which you probably arn't but make sure you don't have 'blending additive' in any .txi associated with the texture (this will probably only apply to lightsabers - I believe blending additive forces the game to use gradients of black for transparency - again only really applies for lightsabers, though you may be trying to have black lightsaber blades which can be done this way and is quite cool

Well that covers it .. I think :p - though most problems with transparency that people have seem to be caused by mistakes in the alpha channel so make sure that is correct- svösh explains this quite well here -> http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126124

hope this helps - If it doesn't make any sense ;) then I'll try to explain it better - there are are also a few others around which have a bit of experience at this so I'm sure you'll get pleanty of help -

Archived