Home

Crash on Lucre Island

Stars05

Hi everyone!

I've got a really annoying problem. I've just installed Escape of Monkey Island and made my way to Lucre Island. Here is where the problem starts.

As soon as I try to move up on the "Town Square" - where the Lawyers office is located - the game crashes down to the dekstop. So I tried entering via the stairs where two old scallywags are sitting and playing chess. That, of course, also lead me crashing down to the desktop. Brilliant I say! (Not)

I am currently running:

Windows XP Professional on a Dell Dimension 8300 (which means I am owning and using a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro which works like crap, will by a new one when Half Life 2 has it's release), and DirectX 9.0b

So I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to get rid of this ridicolous problem.

Thank you, who answers, in advance!

The first screen that comes up when you put the disk in (the one that asks if you want to play the game or not and so on) should have a trouble shooting section or another section, where basically, you can switch from OpenGL mode to Direct3D or back again. Search around to find it. Try switching from whichever one you're using to the other one to see if it helps.

Otherwise, go to lucasarts.com and find the Escape from Monkey Island patch.

First I want to thank you Joshi for your reply. Secondly I want to mention (which I of course forgot to mention in my first post) that I've already had the patch applied.

Back to the problem solving then.

First I had to set the both .exe files in the Monkey Island 4 folder to compatibility to Windows 95/Windows 98 (tried them both) which gave me access to the Configuration Options, which otherwise would cause the game to give me an error (sending an error report to Microsoft).

After tinkering a while with the settings and trying diffrent variations, I after a few (43) minutes came to the conclusion that nothing worked. I still got sent back the familiar desktop accompanied by the ruthless Error messege.

So I am starting to wonder if there is something particular wrong with my version of Escape of Monkey Island since no one else seems to have encountred this problem, thus meaning there is no solving to it either. Or at least I hope there is cause I adore this game and was hoping to continue Threepwood's journey.

Well, if you guys are still reading this and do have a solution to this problem, I would be most glad to hear from you.

Best regards, Stars05

Joshi, I've already tried that. Five or six times. But no worries, I solved the problem! It seemed that the problem lied within the game itself.

I went to my Game store and got the CD's switched out for new ones. With these new CD's I was able to move in to the Lawyers Offcies after doing a clean install!

So if anyone regognizes this problem (the game crashed down to the desktop when trying to move into the Town Square where the Lawyers Offices lies, simply solve it by getting a new copy of the game.

Archived