Home

Video card question (recommendation's please)

Achilles

Greetings,

I currently have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card but am getting seriously fed up with having to:

a) deal with gamma resets when using any driver other than Catalyst 3.8

b) having to install new drivers anytime I want to play something other than KotOR

c) having to uninstall newer drivers and reinstall 3.8 anytime I want to go back to KotOR

I know that some people use hotkeys to correct their gamma setting and while that isn't too much work, it's an unacceptable solution for me.

Therefore, I'm giving serious thought to switching to a nVidia card. I don't know that much about video cards, so I was hoping to get some recommendations from those of you that know more than I do =)

I mostly play RPG's (such as KotOR or Dungeon Siege) and strategic shooters (such as Max Payne and Hitman 2). I don't play FPS's and I haven't delved into massive online games (but am considering it).

I hope that I have provided enought information to give you an idea of what I am looking for. Please feel free to ask questions if I have not. I look forward to hearing from you.

TIA

i too have been burned by an ati card, a 9800pro in fact. put simply; forget ati, customer support sucks(trust me) drivers suck, and they are too expensive(where i am anyway) go with Nvidia, if money is no object, go all the way, and buy top of the line. if it is I recommend the 5700 ultra, it is resonably priced, and is quite powerfull, as i said i had a 9800pro, the flagship of ati at the time, and when i changed to the 5700 ultra, i got better performance, and less problems. and it takes a pretty sharp eye to notice any in-game graphics changes( but they're are a few) and also the S.O.B. runs hotter than a______________(insert choice words here) but for the money it's a good buy.

I agree that ati isn't that good. I use the Nvidia 5200 FX 128 MB and I have had no problems with it and I play alot of older and a few newer released rpg's, fps and strategy style games (warcraft 3, sacrifice etc.). It doesn't cost much and it looks & performs well.

Archived