Home

Custom anim problems

razorace

The forum screwed up :/

..it was a nice, long post too! :mad:

..anyway...

My post was basically about problems I've had getting custom anims in-game, and wanted to ask you a couple of things about where you were at with implementing custom anims and how much they had been tested online.

The basic problem I'm having is:

The new anims run with no problems when creating a solo server on your own machine.

However, once people try and connect to an online server, inconsistent problems start happenning - depending on the client.

...some clients work fine.

...some clients crash when new anims are run.

...come clients dont' crash, but don't show the new anims. (Constant star-position)

Now, my foremost suspicion is the basic .pk3 loading system.

i.e. the new _humaniod.pk3 and / or the animation.cfg in the mod directory is simply not over-riding the corresponding files int he base folder.

(I reakon the crashes happen when the .gla file doesn't get over-riden, and I reakon the star-position problems are occuring when the .cfg file isn't getting over-riden)

I say this because I know it's not a coding problem - because no matter what the clients problems with the new anims, they all run any other parts of the mod just fine, no matter what client..

...so I know the new code is loading and running fine on all clients.

I'm also been suspicious of the .pk3 loading system for a while now for other reasons. Sometimes clients dont' see other over-riden files which should be there - like new weapon models, icons etc. etc.

This is also backed up by the fact that once you move the .pk3 containing the .gla and .cfg file to base, the problems magically go away...!

btw - Keshire can confirm all the stuff I've said above...

Now, I understand that you've gotten new custom anims into OJP (Ledge-grabbing and a new blocking system). And apparently it works fine.

...but I'm wondering how much these new anims have been tested online? Perhaps you are going to run into the same problems I am once you do?

...if you do ( / have), and we can't find a way to get the .pk3 system loading consistenly, then we may have to go for a joint .gla which has to remain in base for all mods...

But anyway - before we carry on, could you confirm how far you've gotten with implementing and tesing new custom anims - especially online...

P.S. I know you probably don't like me much since I haven't been contributing to OJP lately. I won't bulls**t you with any exuses - the fact is that MB is taking total priority for me for the forseeable future.

..hopefully your willing to see past this and work together with me on this anim stuff, which affects both / all of us...

I honestly can't say since I've never had the broadband connection or people to really test this stuff until recently.

It's entirely possible that this issue exists in OJP. I suggest you guys talk to Azymn, I think he's got new animations in FM3 and it seems to have been tested quite a bit in MP.

Anyway, as for my recent absence/lack of progress. I'm on vacation and college starts next week. I'll probably continue to work on things when I have time/feel like it, but there's other things that take priorty at the moment.

Plus, the rest of my family has no interest in this project so it's difficult to whip up support for time to code. Hell, I can't even get them to try it. lamers. :p

Archived