Home

Can I get some clearance here?

Guest krispy

Guest krispy

Uhm, did someone back there in the whole ISD Bridge Globe argument say that Imperial Class Star Destroyers were the newer versions of the Victory Clas? Unless I've been told wrong for as long as I've known about the two, the Victory Class was the upgraded version of the Imperial Class.

I'd believe it too...I mean, it does pack a wallop for being so much smaller. Or perhaps it is true that they are newer but not quite "upgrades" so to speak. I know that WEG says in its lengthy description that they are indeed newer and have much more advanced technology (what tech exactly it fails to mention), but that they are often replaced by Imperial Class SDs despite those production advances.

Does anybody have any evidence either way here? Now I've gone and confused myself.

P.S. Here's an interesting diagram as well of the Dominator, the first Star Destroyer ever seen on film. Perhaps this will prove what the globes are in true canon, and how the schematics of an ISD vary for the games. http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/kdy/blueisd1.gif

[This message has been edited by krispy (edited July 13, 2000).]

Guest Wedgey

I'm not 100% sure but I always thought that the VSD's were built for service during the Clone Wars and that the ISD's were a newer upgraded version with more starfighters and more weaponry.

The VSDI and VSDII were created by West End games, a lot of the ships they introduced was from concept drawings. THe VSD was a early sketch of a ISD, but leter GL decided on what we now know as the ISD

Unfortunatly, the only real source of information for this topic, is WEG, and the EU novels.

In the beginnning, before either wedge shaped ships were around, the Mainstay of the Old republics fleet, was the Clamshell looking Dreadnaught. Unfortunatly, not many of the systems were automated, and it took a large crew to keep the ship running at peak efficincy. Early in Senator Palpitines power, he asked Kuat to create some newer more updated ships, to enforce the "new Order" these were the VSDI and later the VSDII. Mainly they were desinged for Space to surface combat. The Wings of the VSD would help it manuver in low orbit, as it bombarded the planet with Turbo-lasers, and missiles.

Later, probly soon before ANH, a newer ship was create that was speccifiaclly designed for space dominance. Able to hold 6 squadrons of fighters, a mile long, and over 50 turbolasers, it was more ment to bring fear, to the galaxy, fear of the power of the empire

I have herd rumors to the fact that at the end of Ep II we will see some VSDs or something similar... i guess we wil lahve to see

Guest Wedgey

I've heard a rumour that Jar Jar is brutally murdered at the start of Episode II.

Ok maybe not, but wouldn't that just make it the best movie ever??? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest Thrawn

The VSD was put into service by the Old Republic, then the ISD was built by the Empire. Later on came the VSD II and the ISD II.

------------------

"Have no fear, your local Grand Admiral is here!"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn

Rogue 6

BAH! Thrawn was fisrt picked up on a prmitve planet, and then sent to the Unkown regions by the Emperor for god knows how long..

We will see if the VSD appears in Ep II, b/c my sources say it will, right at the begining of Palipitines NEw order

Guest oldmansteve

I always thought of it this way:

VSD was Old Republic, ISD (that's "I" as in "Imperial" in the games and some books, as "Imperator" in others - why can't we have consistency?) was built on the orders of the Emporer.

VSD II and ISD II, III, etc. were created in response to the new capital ships and starfighter strategies the Rebellion and Alliance used.

Archived