Home

Source Code

magnum1587246490

As was said in reply to the S-Foils topic, we need the source-code. If lucas-arts are willing to do half a job with this product, they haven't released official missions like XvTie's Ballance of Power, then we want the source code. Eventually a team of us might write an open source x-wing with ALL MISSIONS X-wing through EP1 through XWA through Thrawn. Flight-gear is a perfect example, an open sourced flt sim which you compile yourself and customise to your hearts content. Give us the source code. The game is obselete as far as your concerned anyway!! You are selling it for Under $50 You obviously aren't making a huge profit out of it anymore! You could release the code in such a way that it still requires original CD's to run anyway!! This goes for all your games! If you aren't going to release force-feedback patches for XvTie and Jedi Knight there are those of us out there who can add it! Do we bother Janes? No they release this stuff without harasment and make there release pretty much open source in the first place!

In reference to the Nob: yeah but they should and claim to monitor fan sites for feedback.

In reference to the other witty twit most normal software companies leak their source code once a product is obselete. If you knew where to look you could find the doom source code I'll bet!

Wanting thier obviously inadequate (otherwise we wouldn't want to fix it) source code was only half my point. Before writing a mission editor or a shipset editor, think...... no I'll write a component on a new, better, free open source x-wing and distribute it for free as the code for ppl to customise to thier hearts content.

In reference to the Nob: yeah but they should and claim to monitor fan sites for feedback.

In reference to the other witty twit most normal software companies leak their source code once a product is obselete. If you knew where to look you could find the doom source code I'll bet!

Wanting thier obviously inadequate (otherwise we wouldn't want to fix it) source code was only half my point. Before writing a mission editor or a shipset editor, think...... no I'll write a component on a new, better, free open source x-wing and distribute it for free as the code for ppl to customise to thier hearts content. LinuX-wing Alliance???

Guest Wes Janson [SMR-TI]

Well, for one, I don't think any one person can really persuade LEC to give us the code. The ideal thing would be to put together a group of people to do research, and to find different ways to communicate to LEC. Like finding the right people.

Sounds rediculous, right? Well, hey. Let me say this: if people want that source code bad enough, then those people should take steps towards getting it. Sitting in this forum, complaining and griping is not going to get you anything. But if you're serious, start trying. Anything's possible.

And there's one thing that my English teacher has taught me, and I still find that it's true today:

"Though you may fail at something many times, don't think you're the failure. If you want it bad enough, just keep going. Scientifically speaking, if you keep trying without stopping at every pitfal, you will prevail . . . at some point. Given, random chance dictates that you will have to prevail at some point. But at least you WILL get what you want. But work and percevearance is the key."

More or less.

- Janson

In response to the 'not profit' comment.

OF COURSE they profitted from XWA!!

The last tally I read was 180,000+ copies of XWA were sold. So, for a rushed product, it did remarkably well.

And in comparison to the competition? Freespace2 only sold approx. 30,000! Which, IMHO, doesn't reflect on how good a space sim FS2 is at all)

Thanx wes Janson for that fatherly advice. I once gave advice like that. I was asleep at the time, on a school camp apparently in the middle of the night I sat up and said "Whatever you want to do, whereever you want to go, do it! Just do it! And if it doesn't work out, do it next year. So I will harp on my third and fourth accidental posting, don't write an editor, write a compatable component! Compatable with Xwing -> The next edition but possible for adaption to an open source version.

As for statistition above I said profit ANYMORE, they aren't making a huge profit at $20 a piece and they're not moving a helluva lot anymore.

Archived