Home

Ever notice...

Guest Marril

Guest Marril

That as the X-Wing games came along, capships became easier to take down single-handed and warheads became easier to blow up?

In the original X-Wing, I only shot down a missile a grand total of ONCE (in the first surface mission). And it as impossible to blow any capship bigger than a corvette. It took like 4 squadrons to take down the Relentless AFTER the shields were down. (Got the kill shot biggrin.gif)

With TIE Fighter, missiles were easier to shoot down. A good thing, since they were the bane of your X-Wing existance. The only things you had to worry about in this game were Advanced Missiles. Torps also became less powerful versus fighters. Capships were hard to take down, and I only got two Star Destroyer kills (the Protector and the Glory).

With X-Wing Alliance, we get the ability to take down an ISDII in a Y-Wing (done it) with little help, and fighter raids versus a capship were impossible, since warheads that aren't dumbfired are SO easy to shoot down.

Yeesh, it's getting easier and easier to beat these games. I miss the hard-yet-fun thrills of killing Zaarin on Hard...

------------------

"And it came to pass that the Wrath of Oingo Boingo fell upon the land. And Oingo Boingo cried out and said, "Behold, I have a wrath and I have fallen out upon your land." And the villagers of the land were frightened and proclaimed to Oingo Boing, "Behold, we are frightened, because you have a wrath and have fell upon our land." And Oingo Boingo answered to them, "Its because of you being frightened because of my wrath and falling out upon your land, that I shall destroy you." And Oingo Boingo did so. And it was NOT good, for all those who did see the great Oingo Boingo fell to his wrath."

-Tyais 3:16

Why is it that whenever someone says SOL I am always in trouble... whether it be Standards of Learning or (the other version). I'm always screwed.

--Tyais

[This message has been edited by MISSINGNO. (edited _*-@&-@&^!).]

Areyou sure we were playing the same games?

IN X-wing, missiles are near immpossible to destroy, so you end up dodgine them (which is fairly easy). You only needed to worry about Adv missiles.

Cap ships in X-wing are hard to take out, but not impossible, you can do it 1v1 but you really need help in a pitched battle. I prided myself on my ISD, and FRG kills, you just need to know how to do it right.

In TIE fighter, you actually had the chance to kill Missiles. Normally i could only do it in H2Hs, but it was enuf. Cap ships had thier weakness to The missile boat, and its 80 missiles, with SLAM system. ALl you needed to do was target the weapons, and send off a volly of 2 to 4 (dependinsg if cap ship had missiles). Stil not that hard.

XvT you get counter measures, which in My opinion make missles almost 100% worthless. Then the Turet AI got smarter and was able to shot them down.

TG mad it easy to take down cap ships, so that we, flying our incignifact snub fighters wouldn't get fed up, and throw the game away, in no way should XWA refelct how things realyl are in the SW universe.

Guest OthaaJebre

Really? I once destroyed down a Star Destroyer in a Y-Wing in X-Wing. I shot torps at the shield generator and shot at them until they went down. Once its shields went out, I fired my remaining torps at that big bump (the energy generator) on its underside. After a few minutes, it was at hull damage, and a few minutes after that, BOOOOOM!!!!

I wasn't cheating either.

[This message has been edited by OthaaJebre (edited October 07, 2000).]

Guest Marril

What I'm meaning is the "evolution" of missiles and capships. Missiles were REALLY hard to take down in X-Wing, and easier in TIE Fighter. I never played X-Wing vs TIE Fighter becasue it's a strictly multi game (I know about BoP...), and I don't like multi. In XWA, you have the ability to nuke an ISDII and countermeasures make missiles a pain in the @$$ rather than a real threat.

I miss the original X-Wing, it was our true breath of realism... (capships and missiles d@mn hard to kill).

------------------

"And it came to pass that the Wrath of Oingo Boingo fell upon the land. And Oingo Boingo cried out and said, "Behold, I have a wrath and I have fallen out upon your land." And the villagers of the land were frightened and proclaimed to Oingo Boing, "Behold, we are frightened, because you have a wrath and have fell upon our land." And Oingo Boingo answered to them, "Its because of you being frightened because of my wrath and falling out upon your land, that I shall destroy you." And Oingo Boingo did so. And it was NOT good, for all those who did see the great Oingo Boingo fell to his wrath."

Why is it that whenever someone says SOL I am always in trouble... whether it be Standards of Learning or (the other version). I'm always screwed.

--Tyais

Guest Thrawn

lol

I took out a ISD in an A-Wing in X-wing. Wow that was a mouthful.

I even made a couple of tie fighters take out the Shield Generator for me by making them miss me and hit it, and eventually crash into the thing.

------------------

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

-Ben Franklin

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Ah - yes, but they are catering for a wider audience, and trying to attract a larger market, as Star wars original Trilogy is now seen as old hat. hey wree after casual gamers aswell as hard core SW fans, hence why it is easier to ake down a CapShip.

But heh - in actual fact, it STILL takes a while to nail CapShips, and so it is still realistic. Anyway, how many FRG vs B/W match ups have you read in the SW Universe Books ?

Plus - as a B-Wing pilot - naff off ! Cap ships are STIL a challenge, and if they wernt, id be out of a job, becasue the B-Wing would be excess to requirements !

------------------

Nove Squadron, Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the MC Oracle, home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - Eclipse Star Destroyers !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Guest Marril

In XWA, you just take out the shield gens and a few turrets, BOOM! W/out fighter support, that ISDII is dead...

Also, in X-Wing, you have a time limit on every mission, so you don't have the leisure of forever to take out an ISD. Also, in X-Wing, turrets were hidden from view and therefore imposible to destroy (or at least I couldn't destroy them, but then again, I stopped playing it after TIE Fighter came out).

------------------

--Tyais

I've downed the ISD in X-wing with all of the different fighters: A-wing, X-wing, Y-wing, and B-wing. The Y-wing and B-wing have the advantage of disabling the ISD with ion cannons once the shield generators are blown up.

Guest oldmansteve

With patience, you can find a way to kill any of the ships in any of the games. Yes, I also think that in the original X-Wing missiles and torpedoes were more powerful, but powerful missiles take away the WWII dogfight "feel" of Star Wars space combat. My personal opinion is that this is why missiles have become more of a nonfactor (and why unguided missiles are so much more effective).

What annoyed me the most was the addition of "engine wash" and those beams which disable your weapons when you're close to a capship. At a stroke, there went my favorite tactic of flying right up to the engines and killing capships at will.

Guest garyah99

In XWA, I've taken down Frigates, Star Destroyers, Deadnoughts and Corvettes in every Rebel ship, including the Z-95, In TIE Fighter, I took down Zaarin's cap shipd in just about every mission that it was possible to do so. You have to vary your tactics depending on the ship you're flying.

Archived