Home

XWAU Question

Guest Starfire

Guest Starfire

Hi. I'm new here, and just got X-wing Alliance a couple of days ago. I know it was released quite some time ago, but my joystick had died, so I didn't buy it then. I just borrowed it from my friend a couple of days ago after finally saving up for a new joystick.

Anyway, I've been looking through the net for upgrades to XWA and found the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade site interesting. FOr thos people who have downloaded the Rebel Fighter Upgrade patch (the only one available), is it worth it? Would it be better for me to wait till the entire patch is done? Thanks!

Darksabers fighters are beautiful and there is no point in waiting (though in one way I wish I had as my PC is low spec enough that the extra detail has slowed XWA down, but they are so incredible I can't stand to revert.. :-) ).

Guest MikeyBear

The XWAU is totally worth the download. The guys have done a superb job up til now and the patch comes highly recommended smile.gif

Guest Starfire

Thanks for the replies, JM and Mikeybear. I've downloaded the patch, and I must say I like the new ship models and lasers a lot. However, I would really prefer to have the old cockpits back. Somehow, the new ones, while more "realistic" block too much of the view for me.

However, when I tried to copy the old cockpit.opt files back, I found that the POV settings were off. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Obvious advice would be to look at your "clean" copy of the XWA executable with either BinHexEdit or MXvTED and make a note of the POV settings and then edit the patched copy to match.

Originally posted by Starfire:

Thanks for the replies, JM and Mikeybear. I've downloaded the patch, and I must say I like the new ship models and lasers a lot. However, I would really prefer to have the old cockpits back. Somehow, the new ones, while more "realistic" block too much of the view for me.

However, when I tried to copy the old cockpit.opt files back, I found that the POV settings were off. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

I feel the same way. I love the ships but the cockpits block too much view. What I did was reinstall XWA. Then go into the upgrade winzip file that you downloaded and copy Xwingexterior.opt and Xwing.opt, Ywingexterior.opt and Ywing.opt, Awingexterior.opt and Awing.opt, Bwingexterior.opt and Bwing.opt, and Z-95exterior.opt and Z-95.opt to your Flightmodels directory. The ships are changed but the cockpits and everything else remain the same.

Since XWA was released I thought they did a terrible job drawing the X-Wing. Thanks to the XWA Upgrade the X-Wing now is awesome. In flight press the / key and hold the * key down to view your ship from all angles. It's awesome.

------------------

My Dream, to fly a starfighter and destroy Imperial ships.

Thanks for that

I must admit they have done a good job in redoing the cockpits and the models especially the xwing it now looks so cool. Hope they are redoing the rest of the ships in xwing alliance

MJN2, they are also working on the Imperial Fighters and all the heavy starships. I think the IFP is being close to finished.

I just found a link to the X-Wing Alliance Audio Upgrade where they have redone the wav. files I'm downloading it now. Check it out at this link.

http://smrti.cjb.net/

------------------

My Dream, to fly a starfighter and destroy Imperial ships.

Guest Starfire

I tried that one out too. I asw the link in an old post on this forum (I was reading through the archives). It's good, and defintely worth the download.

Archived