Home

Freespace vs. Alliance

Guest Ba'rad

Guest Ba'rad

At the risk of getting stoned, I'd like to know which game you guys prefer in terms of sci-fi simulation. I just bought Freespace 1 & 2 (for $15 if you can believe it), and I'm pretty impressed with them. I've only just started Freespace, but it's quickly gaining a foothold in my opinion to be as good as, if not possibly better, than Alliance. What do you think? smile.gif

Guest Night Hammer

I recently bought XWA, not too impressed, its pretty hard. But Freespace, I luv Freespace. I've had it a long time, it is so good! I highly recommend it.

------------------

I will bury you-Nikita Kruschev

I like them both equally, but for slightly different reasons.

Freespace is a very complete and realistic sci-fi sim, but XWA is the first game to really put me into the Star Wars universe totally.

XWA had a much harder task with that; EVERBODY knows the SW universe VERY well, and if it came across as the slightest bit false then it would had failed, no matter how good it was as a sim game otherwise. Freespace had to just come up with thier own world and be true to that, so they just had to concentrate on creating a kick-a** space-combat simulator, which they did.

Both great games, play them both often.

Guest Ajim

Im A FREESPACE Freak...I used To Bought it 6 months ago and Play it all DAy and night...Great Game..

1. At least The CAps Can Defend Themselves. and The Reticle Targeting isnt As hard As XWA..

2. Weapons Vary and Different...XWA weapons is always The same..either Proton torps or missiles..the difference is power.

3. Freespace's BEAM Weapons ARE DEADLY!! Thats What I like!!! JUGGERNAUT SHIPS TEARRING Each other APART!!! COOL BEAM EFFECT!!! cool.gif SLASH!!! biggrin.gif and Youre History!!!

4. Stroyline...interesting..though Your life isn't told as Azameen...well that Favours on XWA. smile.gif

5. If You Have 16 Bandits on Your Tail..You can still Survive(if Youre in an interceptor)..But in XWA A You Don't. Especially the T/A They Are DEADLY!!! mad.gif

Try Starlancer...That interesting game took me along time to stop.... smile.gif

------------------

Ace Rulez

Guest Tyconderoga

I'm glad this topic was brought up because I just finally played and beat Freespace 1 The Great War after having bought it a long time ago and let it gather dust for a long time. Heh.

I can remember when I played the PC Gamer 3DFX-only demo of Freespace way back when; and the graphics looked and felt awesome. This was before XWA, and I remember my vigilant campaign to force LucasArts and Totally Games to see the light and add a bunch of what was in Freespace into their next new Star Wars Space Combat simulator game (XWA).

Now that I have played Freespace entirely, I must admit that I think XWA seems a better Space Combat Game. When I was playing freepace, the Enemy & Friendly A.I. was terrible- they kept doin' kamikaze maneuvers and rammed 'n bumped into each other (especially into the captial ships).

Except for the intro, the movie cutscenes rewards in Freespace were bland. 1/2 the time I didn't understand what the rambling poetic talk-junk meant.

Freespace may have been another pioneer to improve the graphics & Space Combat experience, but I guess I feel more comfortable with XWA and the Star Wars Universe.

Guest garyah99

I think initially I liked XWA better because it sort of "filled in the blanks" up to the Battle of Endor. I thought the whole Battle of Endor series of mission was kind of cheesy. I was flying the Falcon, but am I supposed to be Ace Azzameen or Lando Calrisian? Missions 1 and 3 are exactly the same, destroying 100 TIE's in 10 minutes, and Mission 2 "Destroying the SSD" is a piece of cake on easy or medium, but impossible of hard. The ending of XWA is absolutely deplorable. This anticlimax to me makes the replayability of XWA limited, although I enjoy it tremendously up to that point. I find the plot line of the Freespace series to be captivating. I loved the whole idea of a self-absorbed, cocky human race, who had conquered species after species, now embroiled in a 14 year war with a species their equal (the Vasudans), finally meeting their match in the Shivans. I found Freespace 2 absolutely fantastic. I was drooling for Freespace 3, until I found out Volition was no longer in the series. I'm dying to see the Shivan's return from their supposed exile in the Cappella system. After the Colossus and the Sathanas juggernaut, I'm dying to see what some one could dream up for the supreme level of capital ship.

Guest Darth Massacator

As much as I enjoy the graphics for the Freespace series, I still prefer the physics of XWA. But I do like the variety of weapons and combat scenarios that the Freespace series has.

Tyconderoga nailed it on the head about Freespace's A.I. Dumber than a bag of hammers. But ya gotta admit, using Fred rocks and it's very flexible, and that's a nice feature out of the box. I love 'em both but I play more of the X-Wing series of the two.

Guest Ba'rad

I've been playing Freespace for a few days now, and I have to say that I am just blown away by it. I LOVE the explosions in that game, especially when one of the big ones blow. That shock wave is pure eye candy and getting hit by that shock wave seems so realistic too! Just a couple bad points that I found in the game so far is that the idiotic pilots keep flying into me for some reason, and a little more often than I like is when the game quits in mid-mission.

Now, when I compare it to Alliance, it's almost really not fair since they're both completely different scenarios. I have to admit, the graphics are far more superior in Freespace than in Alliance, but the draw of Alliance is being in the Star Wars universe, whereas Freespace is just spun up in the game. Needless to say, they both have their pros and cons, but for now, I'm kind of hooked on Freespace! I wonder what #2 is like...

Originally posted by Ba'rad:

At the risk of getting stoned,

Actually, we FLAME dumb ass newbies ! HEHEHEHEHE

On actual topic, I have tried Freespace, and found it annoying.

I am not against games like Freespace, Starlancer, Colony wars etc, but I do not like having such a vast range of weapons and missiles - it's kinda pointless !

XWA shows that all you need are ions, blasters and torps. Nothing fany but your flying skills.

Why get allthis hi-tech trash. It detracts from skill level ! (And NO, it is NOT like a wepaons for the situation. Never have I known that true in space=flight sims. FPs yes, but not Space-flighters)

------------------

Nova Squadron, the Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the Nebulon B Frigate 'Oracle', home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - SSDs (See our work with the Iron Fist !) !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Guest garyah99

Actually, the variety of weapons and weapons loadout makes the game more realistic. In a real life war, you WOULD select a different type of warhead for each type of strike mission, for example, simple Mark 82 bombs for general bombing missions, Durandel anit pavement bombs for taking out runways ect, Maverick LGB's for anti Tank and artillery assaults, Cruise missiles etc. Only have the choice of one primary and two secondary weapons doesn;t give much versatility.

1. Freespace 2

2. Freespace 1

3. XWA

A couple years ago, when I bought this Dell computer, I got a huge demo of Freespace1 and loved it so much I was going to buy it. Unfortunately, I couldnt find it in a store so end up buying FS2. Eventually I got first one.

Archived