Home

Questions About Teh Dark Side

McPurplesaber

After playing for a bit as a Dark Sider after 2 games as LS, I've come to notice some interesting things about the Dark Side....

1. It takes half the time to reach full DS as it does to reach full LS.

2. But, after reaching full DS, it's a bit difficult to keep it there...it's very hard to be consistently DS at some points, because being completely DS will ruin some options to gain more experience ... Killing some guy in your way may give you dark side points, but talking to him for a bit will give you some information about a new quest. However, talking to him (and subsequently not killing him) might accidentally gain you some LS points in the process.

3. Going full DS gives you a Damage Bonus, though going full LS gives you no such Bonus as I can see....is there some kind of bonus you get for being Full LS?

4. Influencing companions as DS becomes very tricky and confusing....when I'm talking to Bao Dur, i almost always lose influence because he disapproves of my evil actions. But when I lose influence, am i giving him any DS or LS points? Or does he get DS points just by being around me when I do evil things?

5. I consistently lose influence with Bao and Handmaiden...does this mean that it will take a lot longer to train them as jedi, or does it mean they will become dark jedi as opposed to light?

I am very confused by this.

1. It is always harder to prove your righteousness.

2. Although its easier to become DS, its easier to stay LS. And there are benefits and disadvantages to both.

3. Depending on your Prestige class, you will gain a +3 to Wisdom, Constitution or Strength for being 100% LightSide. While Being Darkside will alter several other things depending on your Class.

4. Yes, Influencing future Jedi is very difficult as DS. And at times you may need to take a Lightside point in order to advance them. But you also get along really well with Mandalore and The Wookie.

5. Depending on your Influence with your companions will help persuade their alignment. If you lose influence consistently with someone, they are likely to become directly opposite of your Alignment. So if you want a Baddass looking Dark Bao-Dur... you'll need to pucker up and kiss some butt.

Yeah, you do get more power from being evil, but gaining influence over your companions is a total huge flipping pain. I have been trying to get handmaiden, bao dur and atton to be jedi, but it's very very difficult. As a Light jedi, I can pretty much get them all trained by the second or so planet. But as a darksider, i've done four planets already, and i keep losing influence over my team because of my evil actions.

It's like a catch 22...if i want to gain influence over my party, i have to be nice to them and do good things, which inadvertantly gains me light side points. But the more light side points i gain, the further i stray from the dark side, which then ruins my chances of training them as dark jedi.

We are getting very aggravated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, this has answered some of the questions I had about influence. I suppose the strategy for a Darksider to be able to turn and train normal "Lightside" NPCs is to be continually be nice to them and not treat them like dirt?

if someone continually treated you like dirt, would you follow them? I wouldnt.

See, Some of your companions are naturally evil, or have the ability to become that way. Bao-dur and Handmaiden are naturally lightsiders and to get them to become darkside takes extra caution on your part. Atton is a fool, whatever you do, he does.

If it was easy, it wouldnt be as rewarding would it?

I've noticed the same thing, achieve influence on some characters is almost impossible (to do not lose it, it's necessary changing the party, and in dialogues with them, if you want to increase influence, it's necessary to lose very large amount of DS points... that's really frustrating). Probably some people that wrote Kotor II have a simple way to see evil (but this opinion is not true at all... Kreia is the most evil character in the game, but evil in a very - and artful - way). It's obvious that, probably except for people that are masochistic, they would not follow you if you are brutal with them. For example,

in Dantooine, you can side Republic and population, or the mercs that are allied with the Exchange. In this mission, I killed no one with my PC, but, it's obvious that is a much greater evil deed than killing a single person, because you've changed the destiny of an entire planet

. In gaming term, I think have would be better if has been added a "lie" option in dialogues with party member, in the way that you could say "what they want to hear", but not in the intent to be good, but only with the aim to convert step by step that your vision is the truth, because it's naturally impossible convincing now someone that an idea which is the opposite of the one shared by your interlocutor is the right one. Maybe in Kotor III a such option would be implemented.

Archived