Home

How to add VIDEO!!

GhOSh

Hey,

I would really like to know how to add a video into GTKGradiant. I have already made a ROQ file and im wondering how to insert it into GTK. Ive searched for help and reviews but no one seems to have a review on it. Please if you know a link or any info post it here;)

Thx

~ GhOSh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I found out how to put roq into maps, it is possible, just make a shader like this

textures/video_test/video1

{

{

videomap video/video_test/video1.roq

}

}

Problem is that the shader seems to think it is 640x480 and the video is only 320x240, therefore the default menu video frame that was last shown is displayed with the video playing over top of it, taking one fourth of the screen. I had to stretch by hand and without the use of Fit to get one fourth of the shader applied to the screen. Does anyone know how to make a 320x240 video work?

I found out how to put roq into maps, it is possible, just make a shader like this

textures/video_test/video1

{

{

videomap video/video_test/video1.roq

}

}

Soap opera batman... thanks for the tip. Definitely have to use this.

Note that, while it works, it still requires a lot of work, I can't seem to get the shader to perfectly fit my TV object, I assume that the size is 640x480 but if I stretch the texture to a brush and then cut the size in half both ways (to make only the 320x240 portion visible, i still get an error. The other thing is that, the avi that i used to begin with took 14 seconds to play, but it plays in like 5 in game, cause the original fps of the clip was around 10 or 11 while the game's trying to put out 30 or so, and there is no sound, but you can use a target_speaker with the soundtrack in .wav (.mp3 might also work), and I don't know if you can control the start/stop of the video or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I got video ingame worked out, you use the shader like this:

textures/mapname/texname

{

qer_editorimage textures/system/_video

{

videomap textures/mapname/filename.roq

}

}

(note that this is for 256x256 video clips, if you want to use 512x512, change the _video in the qer_editorimage line to _video512)

Then in a video editing app, I use Sony Screenblast 3 and Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus, encode a .avi, 30.00 frames/sec, 256x256 (or 512x512) size. The problem comes in the codec you choose, for only a few work, I successfully used the Microsoft MPEG 4 v3 codec, the DivX 6.0 (trial) didn't work, and 3ivX file wouldn't encode right. Next, google switchblade3 roq converter, and unzip it to a folder. Then drag your file.avi to dropRoQ.exe and you will wait for a long time as it slowly eats through your video, although, reaaaaly slowly, and makes a .RoQ that you put in base/video/mapname/ and then use in your shader. Note that there is no sound, so you have to strip the audio from the original file to .wav or .mp3 and use a target_speaker, which I haven't quite got working yet. I think though that mp3 has to be 44KHz, 128Kbps. I don't know if it works in target_speakers though.

The qer_editorimage is used to line the video up on your brushes in Radiant, and as of now I don't know how to control video playback, but I think it can be done through scripting.

Archived