Home

Can you help

Admiral Odin

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Are you buying a weapon or a toy? wink.gif

My advice is to take your hard-earned money to a pawnshop or antique store. There are a few real swordsmiths making weapons for production today, but their work is expensive. The heyday of the sword has passed, but most of them from the last century or so can still be found in good condition.

Also, I would never buy a sword without handling it first. biggrin.gif Hope this helps.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Me, again.

I went back to that site and looked around a little more. I noticed that a few of the swords were made by Windlass Steelcrafts in India, which is one of the largest mass-production sword factories in the world! They have a reputation for poor workmanship...caveat emptor!

Really. I have a Solingen-made rapier from before the turn of the century for which I paid $189 and a Gendai handmade samurai sword that cost a mere $600. Either weapon is built for actual use, not mass market, and beats the price curve at that website.

smile.gif

Actually I have done research on them, and Muesum Replicas has some of the best swords on the market, I have friends that have praticed with them, and they say they make good quaility ones. Others place I know make even inferior weapons. Besides I already have a pratice sword, these are for my walls biggrin.gif

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Well, for wall use, they do make good replicas. I have a few replicas on my walls, too, including a Denix copy of Peter the Great's sword. biggrin.gif

By useable, I mean well-mounted. The real durability of a sword comes into being at the handle...is it a full tang, how strong is the tang, secured by screw or rivets, etc. A cheap sword reveals itself immediately when you strike a solid target* with it--it goes *Spoingk--!* and then the handle rattles. Such a loose blade will not strike effectively, and eventually the stress on the tang will break it, failing the sword altogether.

But this wasn't what you asked at all. rolleyes.gif I'm sorry. I'll shut up now.

<font size=1>* My practice target (or 'pell') is a steel bicycle frame hung from a tree in the backyard. It spins! It hits back!</font>

Way sword has a full tang in it, I'm not sure wether or not if it is rivited or screwed. I have used it and the blade is secrure in the handle. The wieght of the sword is proper for one it's size. I have done a lot of research before I bought one that I would use for pratice. I know what makes a good sword and a cheap sword. biggrin.gif

I have excaliber for my wall biggrin.gif

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

Archived