Home

Patlabor

Nitro

Who's seen it, and what did ya think?

------------------

The crazy f*cker was jerking off 10 times a day...

10 times a day, at LEAST...

They sent him to the Navy head shrinkers and the crazy bastard starts jerking off in the waiting room...

-Full Metal Jacket

I saw a Patlabor movie (?) on Space Network a year or so ago (they used to run animé movies at midnight on Friday, but they stopped after a few weeks).

I thought it was a Gundam Wing ripoff before I'd seen Gundam Wing. rolleyes.gif

I know humanoid mecha are unrealistic (bordering on impossible), but I'm willing to suspend disbelief if they make sense in the story.

Realistically, something the size of a 'labor would never be used inside a city. The whole point of civil defence is to minimize collateral damage. I could see the 'labors being used in open country, say as part of a military force, but inside a cramped city?

------------------

"Do fish-people eat fish, or would that be like humans eating monkeys?"

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

Guest Hans The Great

I enjoyed what I saw (the movies). The animation is pretty good and I liked the stories.

Originally posted by Flying Beastie:

I know humanoid mecha are unrealistic (bordering on impossible), but I'm willing to suspend disbelief if they make sense in the story.

Don't be so sure, just yet...damn balance gyros. Why do you have to suck so much...

they're pretty close to making a large robot that walks (Honda's one they made a year or two back had a lot of balance problems). They can make balance gyros that are really little, but they don't scale up right.

It's not the balance gyros that are the problem, it's the size.

A walking robot is nothing as long as it's human sized or maybe a little bigger.

When you get into the size range of something like a 'labor (or a Gundam, for that matter), you have to realize that the weight of one or two tanks is concentrated on two relatively small feet.

ObGundam: Remember in an early GW ep, where Duo and Heero were destroying an OZ outpost and Deathscythe fell through the wooden dock?

A giant robot would only work on several layers of reinforced metal or stone/concrete. As soon as it steps onto relatively soft earth, or even city streets (with sewers and subway cavities below them), they'd sink up to their hips. Getting out would be another problem; the hands would just sink into the surface, like someone trying to climb out of quicksand.

------------------

"Do fish-people eat fish, or would that be like humans eating monkeys?"

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

[This message has been edited by Flying Beastie (edited May 14, 2001).]

Archived