Home

Lucky Shot's Damage, Inconsistent

MistenTH

Projectile Damage = 16

Bonus Modifier = 150

Expected Damage = 2400

Resultant Damage on 3200 HP Hardpoint

Test fired with 4 scenarios. Fired in attack mode, Fired with S-foils locked, Fired with only Luke facing, Fired with whole squadron facing target. No discernable difference noted.

Fire 1 - 10% damage

Fire 2 - 54% damage

Fire 3 - 32% damage

Fire 4 - 1% damage

Fire 5 - 45% damage

Fire 6 - 15% damage

fire 7 - 21% damage

Anyone knows if the randomness is coded into lucky shot, or is there some variable somewhere controlling its damage?

Projectile Damage = 16

Bonus Modifier = 150

Expected Damage = 2400

Resultant Damage on 3200 HP Hardpoint

Test fired with 4 scenarios. Fired in attack mode, Fired with S-foils locked, Fired with only Luke facing, Fired with whole squadron facing target. No discernable difference noted.

Fire 1 - 10% damage

Fire 2 - 54% damage

Fire 3 - 32% damage

Fire 4 - 1% damage

Fire 5 - 45% damage

Fire 6 - 15% damage

fire 7 - 21% damage

Anyone knows if the randomness is coded into lucky shot, or is there some variable somewhere controlling its damage?

I'm starting to suspect that there's a random damage variance of SOME type built into all weapons.

Having drastically reworked the land battles, my basic infantry have 20 hp each, and a hand blaster does 10 damage. Infantry damage other infantry at a multiplier of 1.0.

Now, add a 50% damage reduction for "taking cover", and an infantryman should die in three shots EVERY time. Every time they get hit you should see a 33% drop in their life bar. This, however, isn't the case. After a firefight, survivors will be running around with all sorts of life remaining on their bars. You really should only see 1/3, 2/3, and full, but they read anything, really.

I can't explain why unless there's something random going on there.

Hmm Rhedd that's an interesting relevation. Looks like there is randomness after all, and it's very visible with high damage low cooldown weapons. The default EAW settings have the damages so high that it doesn't matter, but when WE start playing with it...well...ugh.

Guys, look at the settings I used for lucky shot, and the hardpoint health. The default EAW has the damage at 9600 vs hardpoints with hp 200 or something.

I don't really think it's an "ugh" situation. I like a bit of randomness. Heck, when balancing things, I put down numbers that make mathematical sense, but it's how the battle FEELS when played that's important. Too long? Too quick? Sometimes you can't tell those things by simply looking at the numbers on paper, anyway.

It was a surprise to find the randomness (which might be a result of complex range/terrain/weather/etc. factors and not random at all), but it wasn't an annoying surprise.

I see your point.

Personally, I like Lucky Shot to completely destroy whatever (hard point) it was aimed at, so overpowered isn't really a problem.

Neat thing about the game is that everyone can have a different opinion, though.

I wish I had more info to share with you on WHY things were random.

Archived