Home

A riddle

TheRogue 3000

Alright, I just heard this one today and it's been bugging the hell out of me so I thought some of the smarter ones out there could help out.

It's like this. There are three guys who spend a night a hotel. To save money they share a room and split the cost. When they get to the bellman he tells them that a room is $30. So the guys split it and pay $10 each. Later the bellman remembers that the cost is actually $25 a room. He goes up to give the money back but figures to keep a few bucks for himself. He takes $2 and gives the guys the remaining $3. So with the guys only spending $9 each for a room, the total cost for the three of them is $27. Plus the $2 the bellman took makes $29. Where'd the last buck go?

------------------

Official Forum Lord of Salmon

and Emmisary of Goats

Numfar, do the dance of joy!

idaho_stallion@stallion.net

Forum math wiz to the rescue!

"So with the guys only spending $9 each for a room, the total cost for the three of them is $27. Plus the $2 the bellman took makes $29. Where'd the last buck go?"

That's not a propper question. Consider that the true cost to the 3 men is $25 for the room plus the $2 the bellman kept. That's $27. The remaining $3 they get back. So, the total cost was computed in the wrong way, although the figure was correct. The incorrect method of calculation let to a wrong amount of money left over from the original. See?

In math it is called the order of operations.

For example:

3+2*4-5/(4+1)

You have to do the things in "()" first, then the Multiplying and dividing, then the adding or subtractions, otherwise you get a wrong answer

So...

3+2*4-5/(5)

3+2*4-1

3+8-1 = 10

if you don't use the order of operations you coudl ahve something liek this:

3+2 =5

5x4 = 20

20-5 = 15

15/(4+1) = 3

a totally differant, and WRONG answer

Guest Rune Haako

One of the guys used the last dollar to buy one of those little shot bottles of booze that I love so very very much because they make me feel like a giant and drank it all himself 'cause there's not much there and didn't tell anyone else.

I like my answer better.

Math is evil.

take the words Cute Purple Dianosaur

now onvert the u's to v's, and take all other letters that are roman numerals, add them up, and you'll see that Barney=Satan

------------------

"Here, people don't lock their doors, they deadbolt them, and then stick a chair under the knob."

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Archived