Home

Sake

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Okay, I'm 33 and I'm having sake (Japanese rice wine) for only the second time in my life.

First time: on liberty while training at Great Lakes NTC in the navy, me and a couple of shipmates went into a Japanese restaurant in downtown Chicago and ordered sake with our meal. The stern waitress looked at us and demanded to know if we were old enough (21.) My two buddies looked down and admitted that they were not, but I fixed her with a confident gaze and told her that I (age: 19) was. As a result, I drank sake and the other two watched. I remember nothing about how it tasted.

Today, I grabbed a bottle after work, just to see what it was like. I got 'Gekkeikan' brand, and first tried it cold. It tasted like bantha poo-doo. biggrin.gif I tried giving it away to a friend of mine, but after trying it himself, he left it on my coffee table when he left. rolleyes.gif I couldn't really blame him--it tasted like spoiled rice juice.

I drank a glass of merlot wine, then thought about giving the sake another try. I'd heard that it was served either hot or cold, depending on the type, and guessed that this might be a 'hot' type. I heated up a bowl of water in the microwave, then dropped a shotglass of sake into it (not pouring the sake into the water, but using it as a bath to heat it up.)

Well, sheeznabbit if this stuff ain't great hot! biggrin.gif It tastes like, well...odd schnapps, made with something other than mint. I've had three shotglasses so far, and I think I've found a new drink.

Anyone else want some?

------------------

'What's up is clearly defined as the opposite of what is down, in this case being the strongest source of local gravity...failing that, in space, what's up is opposite the direction of accelerative G-force--or, coincidentally, the same direction I happen to be targeting with these laser cannon. Die, b*tch!'

--Official forum space terrorist

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit:

Okay, I'm 33 and I'm having sake (Japanese rice wine) for only the second time in my life.

First time: on liberty while training at Great Lakes NTC in the navy, me and a couple of shipmates went into a Japanese restaurant in downtown Chicago and ordered sake with our meal. The stern waitress looked at us and demanded to know if we were old enough (21.) My two buddies looked down and admitted that they were not, but I fixed her with a confident gaze and told her that I (age: 19) was. As a result, I drank sake and the other two watched. I remember nothing about how it tasted.

Today, I grabbed a bottle after work, just to see what it was like. I got 'Gekkeikan' brand, and first tried it cold. It tasted like bantha poo-doo. biggrin.gif I tried giving it away to a friend of mine, but after trying it himself, he left it on my coffee table when he left. rolleyes.gif I couldn't really blame him--it tasted like spoiled rice juice.

I drank a glass of merlot wine, then thought about giving the sake another try. I'd heard that it was served either hot or cold, depending on the type, and guessed that this might be a 'hot' type. I heated up a bowl of water in the microwave, then dropped a shotglass of sake into it (not pouring the sake into the water, but using it as a bath to heat it up.)

Well, sheeznabbit if this stuff ain't great hot! biggrin.gif It tastes like, well...odd schnapps, made with something other than mint. I've had three shotglasses so far, and I think I've found a new drink.

Anyone else want some?

You're 19? LOL, someone at RS.net told me you were 31. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.

At last we will have revenge.

Archived