Home

Have Microsoft Done Something Right?

jon_hill987

It looks very swanky... as does the new yahoo mail beta. Loads of drag and drop and cool ajax scripting.

It does seem that they've both kind of missed the point of gmail though. Gmail added a load of funky ajax... but its main breakthrough was the much improved usability and the much more intuitive way of managing your email.

Even though the new betas from yahoo and msn both look really cool and are fun to play with i can't ever see myself going back to clunky old email without Conversations or Labels.

Heck.. every day i curse the fact i have to work with Outlook's horrendous UI... and last time i looked live hotmail was just trying to emulate outlook in a web page.

Plus I think they have both slightly overdone the ajax to the point where its too slow to use in places. So i'll be sticking with gmail (and google calendar) for now.

http://local.live.com/ on the other hand completely blows away google maps. the coverage isn't quite as extensive, but the birds eye view is fricken amazing... i can see my house and office from 4 angles and actually see the window i work at. Plus the built in directions and pushpin options are actually really useful.

I tried the beta of the MSN Messenger live thing. It seemed fine at first but then I was really unsatisfied with it. Aafter I installed and used it for a few days it wanted me to install more updates. I tried downloading them but it kept failing to connect to the download site. Then it wouldn't let me log on to the messenger. So I just went back to using the previous version.

I wasn't really talking about mesenger, but I must admit that mesenger live dosn't seem to be an improvement on the last one. I prefer the old windows mesenger. it has exactly 1 feature which is the ability to send IM. that suits me fine.

Let's just say I don't have bloody access to the betas, because I don't lie in one of the bighead countries.

Now, I tried Messenger and it's really pretty swanky. I like the new look and all the minor improvements and it's even faster than the old one, so I'll be using that...

You could try changing your signin country.

I've changed my language in gmail to US English because that way i get all the new features that they still haven't bothered rolling out to those of us in the UK. Makes the spell checker useless though.

Maybe that will workfor the others. TBH I don't think you are missing anything essential in the betas though.

Archived